What movie did you watch last night? (17 Viewers)

I watched Hansel and Gretal last night after killing the witch they grow up to become full time witch hunters in land plagued by witches and in the process they discover the reasons behind why they were abandoned in the woods by there parents in the first place.

The night before I watched devil baby this is a completely ridiculous over the top comedy that takes off the Omen and the exorcist enjoyable but messes with your head a bit.

Have another free months trial on Netflix I probably should subscribe to it

I watched '71 tonight.

Some Brits in Belfast in 1971 go out on a wee patrol without any riot gear, and soon get into a nasty situation which results in one of them getting separated from his squad and chased around Divis by the ra.

So, this film is a decent enough effort, but nothing special.

Good points:

A lot of the cinematography is really really great. It is very inventive at times and there are some amazing shots of the sky and stuff. What is most impressive is the feel that it delivers - they have done a really good job of capturing the light of night-time Belfast in the troubles, fairly dark street lamps and stuff which are quite like how it was to an extent.

The score is alright. David Holmes fair, nothing special, but does the job okay. Sound design and that is pretty good in general.

There is a pretty good pace to the film, so it isn't like a slow-burner or anything.

Bad Points:

The acting is a bit shoddy in general. The actual Northern Irish ones do a pretty good job. The Love/Hate crew pretty much overdo it all, and their accents are shit, which is mostly why it is a bit shoddy. The army guys are decent enough really.

The real bad point is that the film seems to be constantly aiming for some kind of authenticity, but never really delivers. It's nowhere near the worst film about the troubles, but it's just not quite believable, for a variety of reasons, but again a big part of that is the acting aside from anything else.

The plot overall is standard enough, but doesn't really have any comment to make on the troubles - the thing about this is that when you watch the film, afterwards you have to ask why they bothered setting this film in 70s NI, because it could have been set pretty much anywhere there was ever any kind of street rioting. It feels like they just chose the troubles to give a bit of extra 'edge' or something. It's verging on exploitation or something, really.

Anyway, overall enjoyable enough watch, but the Love/Hate crowd don't really do a good job and the cinematography is the biggest redeeming feature of the film. 6/10

Can any of them act? I tuned in for a bit of an episode there last week and the Nidge guy is as wooden as can be. Fair City with a few knives and swearing.

Just watched Aladdin and the death lamp didn't really give it my full attention. Aladdin finds in a tomb an old book. He soon realises the importance of the it when trying to sell it on the market and also that the strange inscriptions therein match his tattoos so he and his buddy's decide to investigate its meaning themselves and soon release from the old lamp a deadly jinn yada yada yada it was all bit low budget really.

Just started Iceman now this some kind of Asian martial arts thing "Four hundred years after they were frozen in time a Ming Dynasty guard and his three pursuers are defrosted to continue their ancient battle" I love this kind of film !

Kopps.
Guess, you could call it Swedish "Super troopers". Simmilar idea: police in a small rural area with no crime, so to speak. Police board want to shut them down, because it's waste of money, so they concoct various "crimes". Stupidity ensues. Good for a laugh. 6.5/10 Looses points for some very dodgy special effects.

Edit, it's also the source of this incredible gif from years ago
LtUKR.gif

Last edited:
So Iceman from 400 years ago in the past a Ming imperial guard gets thawed out due to the truck carrying his frozen body crashing. He then has to adjust to the present day Hong Kong and soon befriends a young woman. Meanwhile two other frozen guards from the same time who were also defrosted during the crash are looking for him and so to are the Hong Kong police including one senior official who is involved in the smuggling of priceless antiquities. He possesses also a mysterious linga artefact which when combined with another object can facilitate time travel which may possibly hold for him the opportunity to travel back to the 1600's to prevent the an treachery that was carried out on him.

So not that much fighting in it more so about modern day Hong Kong life some humour with a really big fight at the end.

Last edited:
I watched '71 tonight.

Some Brits in Belfast in 1971 go out on a wee patrol without any riot gear, and soon get into a nasty situation which results in one of them getting separated from his squad and chased around Divis by the ra.

So, this film is a decent enough effort, but nothing special.

Good points:

A lot of the cinematography is really really great. It is very inventive at times and there are some amazing shots of the sky and stuff. What is most impressive is the feel that it delivers - they have done a really good job of capturing the light of night-time Belfast in the troubles, fairly dark street lamps and stuff which are quite like how it was to an extent.

The score is alright. David Holmes fair, nothing special, but does the job okay. Sound design and that is pretty good in general.

There is a pretty good pace to the film, so it isn't like a slow-burner or anything.

Bad Points:

The acting is a bit shoddy in general. The actual Northern Irish ones do a pretty good job. The Love/Hate crew pretty much overdo it all, and their accents are shit, which is mostly why it is a bit shoddy. The army guys are decent enough really.

The real bad point is that the film seems to be constantly aiming for some kind of authenticity, but never really delivers. It's nowhere near the worst film about the troubles, but it's just not quite believable, for a variety of reasons, but again a big part of that is the acting aside from anything else.

The plot overall is standard enough, but doesn't really have any comment to make on the troubles - the thing about this is that when you watch the film, afterwards you have to ask why they bothered setting this film in 70s NI, because it could have been set pretty much anywhere there was ever any kind of street rioting. It feels like they just chose the troubles to give a bit of extra 'edge' or something. It's verging on exploitation or something, really.

Anyway, overall enjoyable enough watch, but the Love/Hate crowd don't really do a good job and the cinematography is the biggest redeeming feature of the film. 6/10

Pretty Harsh review. Saw it today and thought it was superb. Edge of the seat from start to finish for me.

I don't think there was any intention on the filmmakers' part to make a comment on the Northern situation as such, but it was a good a place and time as any to set it. Tommy wasn't great in fairness, but the others were all excellent, including the Love/Haters. Thought the score was great too.

5 stars*****

Yeah, some other people I know are totally overrating it too. Maybe part of the problem is that I've seen stylistically similar films from places like Poland and Russia in the last few years, and they basically do it better. See Jack Strong, for instance. Or watch Farewell, one of the best spy thrillers ever made, fucking immense film.
These films do the same basic thing - put the protagonists in a situation where they have people looking for them that they really don't want to find them, and have to try and escape from somehow.
But watch Farewell, and it's like sitting in a pressure-cooker or something. Watch '71, and it's more like watching the same kind of film shot in the style of a wildlife documentary.

Godzilla - boring and humourless until the monsters start kicking ass. Ropey CGI

The Purge: Anarchy. Decent action thriller that nods to Escape From New York and Judgement Night

Triangle - Decent psychological horror with an impressive performance from Melissa George

Felon with Kilmer and Dorff. Thought it would be shit but was pleasantly surprised. Very entertaining prison flick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back