What movie did you watch last night? (15 Viewers)

what are the fictional bits? does he solve murders or something?
Ha well no, there's long scenes for example that show him talking to a counsellor of some sorts. He's such a hammy shrink he has to be an actor. It's not really a fiction but it blurs the lines as such. I expect it was scripted, hard to know how much is genuine recollection.

Bit of a Hitchcock phase over the last few nights

Rope. Had seen it years ago so forgot most of how it played out. Good stuff.

Rebecca. Top Drawer Hitch. Loved it.

Spellbound. Really enjoyed it but my least favourite of these three movies. The Dali dream sequence is cool

I just watched this.Absolutely terrific.
8/10
Bit of a Hitchcock phase over the last few nights

Rope. Had seen it years ago so forgot most of how it played out. Good stuff.

Rebecca. Top Drawer Hitch. Loved it.

Spellbound. Really enjoyed it but my least favourite of these three movies. The Dali dream sequence is cool

Can't go wrong with Hitchcock, up there with John Ford and Billy Wilder imo. Had an Irish mother and one of his father's parents was Irish..hence the very Irish name Hitchcock.

Ha well no, there's long scenes for example that show him talking to a counsellor of some sorts. He's such a hammy shrink he has to be an actor. It's not really a fiction but it blurs the lines as such. I expect it was scripted, hard to know how much is genuine recollection.

No, the shrink is real and those scenes were unscripted (at least according to Cave/the film-makers anyway). Similarly, all the driving around in the car stuff was done pretty quickly and was off-the-cuff etc. Though I suppose since he knew it was going to happen (i.e. be filmed talking to a shrink) he probably, at least mentallly, thought about what he was going to say. I liked the film too.

Actually speaking of Cronenberg I re-watched A History of Violence there the other night. Still brilliant
That Viggo diptych, Violence and Eastern Promises, is fucking golden. Can I say it's Cronenberg's best work? I'm gonna say it.

I like the fly, but there's something a bit Cronenberg-y about it, if you get me. In Violence and Promises, he transcends himself. Also, I love those movies cos he'd been shit for a while. And Viggo's just great, isn't he?

Someone recommended The Two Faces Of January recently... good call, I enjoyed it much.

I like the fly, but there's something a bit Cronenberg-y about it, if you get me. In Violence and Promises, he transcends himself. Also, I love those movies cos he'd been shit for a while. And Viggo's just great, isn't he?

Someone recommended The Two Faces Of January recently... good call, I enjoyed it much.

Really? I think eXitenZ and Spider are both solid works. Spider in particular gets overlooked but it’s really good. It also marks the point when he stopped writing original scripts. eXisteZ was his last original script. Everything since has been another screenwriter or an adaptation. So maybe that’s why they feel less Cronenberg-y. His new novel sounds more like the Cronenberg of the 80s and I suspect it was a planned movie project that he couldn’t get funding for.

I think that was me. Yeah, I really enjoyed it.

Really? I think eXitenZ and Spider are both solid works. Spider in particular gets overlooked but it’s really good. It also marks the point when he stopped writing original scripts. eXisteZ was his last original script. Everything since has been another screenwriter or an adaptation. So maybe that’s why they feel less Cronenberg-y. His new novel sounds more like the Cronenberg of the 80s and I suspect it was a planned movie project that he couldn’t get funding for.

I think that was me. Yeah, I really enjoyed it.
I forgot about Spider. That was a good little movie. I didn't like eXistenZ. Crash and Naked Lunch are both adaptations, and they pre-date eXistenZ. Not sure about those two either. I enjoy the cheesy, crazy early shit, but the scene where naked Viggo is fighting with a sickle is the greatest thing in recent cinema history.

I forgot about Spider. That was a good little movie. I didn't like eXistenZ. Crash and Naked Lunch are both adaptations, and they pre-date eXistenZ. Not sure about those two either. I enjoy the cheesy, crazy early shit, but the scene where naked Viggo is fighting with a sickle is the greatest thing in recent cinema history.
Crash is a bit iffy alright. I like Naked Lunch. You probably wouldn’t get away with making a film like it today.

Viggo is a fantastic actor and I think there is nothing wrong with being Cronenberg-y. Those films are definitely less weird and more conventional but still magnificent esp. History of Violence. Dead Ringers is up there in my top three horror movies because It genuinely got under my skin..I just felt so mutilated after watching it..just as Cronenberg intended lol

Crash is a bit iffy alright. I like Naked Lunch. You probably wouldn’t get away with making a film like it today.
"What's with the make up and shit? Can't you just do it all with a computer?"

I know it's a naff movie, but I loved Coppella's Dracula for all the old-timey effects they used. If the star of your new movie is your pentium 1,000,000 processor, I ain't watching. Soz.

Slightly off topic. Anyway. Cronenburg rules, I think we've established that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back