What movie did you watch last night? (20 Viewers)

pete said:

good grief

In fairness i have to admit that i only put this on to check and see if it was suitable viewing for my 8 year old nieces, but i can only hope this was meant to be a TV pilot.

Lasted all of 10 minutes before we turned it off.

the league of gentlemen's apocalypse. pretty good. if you like the t.v show you'll probably like this. really odd ending. 7/10

Watched Groundhog Day. Had its moments, and Bill Murray is one of the funniest folks ever, but there was too much of the romcom action for me to put my full support behind this fillum.

Also watched Pi (dunno how to do the symbol on de compewter). By pretentious film students for pretentious film students. Some interesting ideas in it, but all in all, it was just too intense all the way through. Plus, the folks who made the film seem to have confused 'intensity' and 'power' with 'shouting', so it was just tedious.

There is some debate about just how long I lasted before dozing off, but I did make it through most of it, it's just that by about 40 minutes in, I found myself hoping that the main character would die just so he would stop fucking yelling.

Please, lads, I get it, you're arty and edgy, just keep your bleedin' voice down. I get your symbolism, too. In fact, if you were any more fucking obvious about it, I'd still be picking the shrapnel out of my anus.

Pi is such a shit film. Why did it even get funding or whatever is needed to put together a film? It's awful tripe.

Saw The Machinist on Saturday. Or Friday. Can't really remember. Neither could the central character. I think that guy ate waaaay too much Special K.

Recorded Roadhouse off MGM movies over the weekend, sat down to watch it, turned out they decided to show roadhouse 66 instead. I dunno if it's any good or not but i doubt anyone gets their throat ripped out by patrick swayze so nuts to that.
Watched the mothman prophecies, overly long and slow moving episode of the x-files.

xsteox said:
the league of gentlemen's apocalypse. pretty good. if you like the t.v show you'll probably like this. really odd ending. 7/10
Just saw this cos Sin City was sold out. We laughed all the way through, but then we are fans of the show. A couple walked out after the giraffe bit at the start, the girlfriend looked like she was gonna throw up.

Edit: Not my girlfriend, she was howling with laughter...

jane said:
Watched Groundhog Day. Had its moments, and Bill Murray is one of the funniest folks ever, but there was too much of the romcom action for me to put my full support behind this fillum.

murray is the best thing about that film. he manages to make it enjoyable even despite the fact that andi mcdowall (or what-ever-her-name-is) is in it. bill murray is great, one of my favorite actors. so laconic. i love lost in translation, brilliant (though some would certainly not agree).

Also watched Pi (dunno how to do the symbol on de compewter). By pretentious film students for pretentious film students. Some interesting ideas in it, but all in all, it was just too intense all the way through. Plus, the folks who made the film seem to have confused 'intensity' and 'power' with 'shouting', so it was just tedious.

eh, the stuff regarding the kaballah in that was totally off-the-mark. the whole thing just tried waaaaaay too hard.

xsteox said:
watched sin city last night. one of the best film's i've ever seen.10/10

Saw it last night as well. It's very good, but would give it 7/10. Jessica Alba - hubba hubba!

Watched end of a century (that ramones documentary). It was pretty good but I wasn't entirely bowled over by it, although it's crazy the dynamics in the band, with the fighting and all, quite the opposite of punk in a way, especially with Joey being such a conservative (and a jerk). Every bit with Dee Dee in it was priceless though.

Also watched The Yesmen, which is about these guys who set up a website mocking the WTO which people thought was actually the WTO's website and started asking them to make speeches on behalf on the WTO, which they did, aiming to be completely forthright about what they felt WTO policy was, survival of the fittest, one rule for us, poor people are poor for a reason and so on. Rather good but not great.

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Also watched The Yesmen, which is about these guys who set up a website mocking the WTO which people thought was actually the WTO's website and started asking them to make speeches on behalf on the WTO, which they did, aiming to be completely forthright about what they felt WTO policy was, survival of the fittest, one rule for us, poor people are poor for a reason and so on. Rather good but not great.

were these the people that were forced to remove the spoof site and then brought down the WTO site through divilment?

MMmm, kinda - they had gwbush.com set up as a very good parody site, loked almost exactly the same as georgewbush.com - also, their last act in the WTO thing was to go to australia and announce to the press that the WTO had disbanded, and gave a long list of reasons why. Some canadian MP even announced it in parlament.

ReadySteadyJedi said:
MMmm, kinda - they had gwbush.com set up as a very good parody site, loked almost exactly the same as georgewbush.com - also, their last act in the WTO thing was to go to australia and announce to the press that the WTO had disbanded, and gave a long list of reasons why. Some canadian MP even announced it in parlament.

They have impersonated WTO officials on a number of occasions, using satire to make their criticisms. As a result of the bogus website they have received invitations to speak at conferences intended for the WTO's Director General Mike Moore.

They have replied to some by saying Mr Moore himself was unavailable but could send a substitute.

On one occasion, at a textile conference in Finland last year, the bogus WTO official making a presentation removed his clothes to reveal a golden leotard with a metre long golden phallus containing what he called video interface which could be used to deliver electric shocks to employees in the developing world not working hard enough.

A spokesman for the Yes Men said that nobody at the conference seemed to spot the hoax. The main complaint made at the time, he said, was from a woman who said the phallus metaphor was inappropriate because women too can exploit workers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2006536.stm

The British Broadcasting Corp. apologized Friday for falling victim to a hoax in which a fake corporate spokesman claimed to take responsibility for a deadly cyanide gas leak at a Union Carbide Corp. subsidiary in India two decades ago.

The BBC World satellite television channel broadcast an interview Friday with a man identified as Jude Finisterra, who claimed to speak for Dow Chemical Corp.

The man said Dow now accepted responsibility for the Dec. 3, 1984, accident in Bhopal, which killed 10,000 people, and would pay billions of dollars in compensation.
Michigan-based Dow Chemical bought Union Carbide in 2001. Both Union Carbide and Dow have denied responsibility for the gas leak. In 1989, Union Carbide paid $470 million in a settlement with India's government.

Later, the man calling himself Finisterra told BBC radio that he was a member of the Yes Men, a group that has carried out hoaxes on businesses and public figures in the past.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A34057-2004Dec3.html

Last night, we watched The Usual Suspects. Fucking excellent. I won't say anything about it because I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it. I was told not to look up anything about it before I saw it, lest it spoil my enjoyment, and I'm glad I heeded those words.

Benicio del Toro is especially great. Apparently, he created the whole character, and the directors liked it so much, they re-wrote the part to accommodate it.

First time I saw that, I was for some reason convinced John Malkovich was in it. I kept expecting him to appear at some point all the way through it.

Much like in the Sixth Day where I was waiting for Arnie to say "Clone THIS!".

watched "Snatch" last night - great film. now, i have a question i hope won't offend anyone here: does Pitt do an Ok job with the accent? at times it sounded a bit like what i heard when i was over there, and at times it was incomprehensible...

oh, and if anyone knows what the fuck he says in the scene where he's asking for the larger caravan, i'll love ya forever...

Lord Damian said:
oh, and if anyone knows what the fuck he says in the scene where he's asking for the larger caravan, i'll love ya forever...

something to do with scatter cushions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back