What movie did you watch last night? (18 Viewers)

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk.. ended up seeing this after arriving too late for another film. I think they were trying to make some kind of subtly satirical statement about how foreign wars are used for commercial purposes back in the USA, and the disconnect between civilians and what their army actually gets up to, but it didn't focus strongly enough on any one point, all felt a bit tepid really. Apparently it was filmed in super high framerate 3D for some reason but I saw the plain vanilla 24 fps 2D version so can't comment on any of the tech goodies..

IMG_1462.PNG
Christine about the news reporter Christine Chubbock who shot herself dead live on air in the 70s. Not exactly cheerful viewing but this is an excellent character study. Rebecca Hall is outstanding in the title role.

20th Century Women.

kind of a misleading title as the group of characters the movie centers on, includes a couple of guys too.

Nice little film set in 1979 in California against the backdrop of the No Wave/Punk vs New Wave music wars that were *raging* at the time!

Great soundtrack to it.

I watched Sing Street last night. Yeah, it's charming and shit, but being set in 1985 and playing Rio on TOTP, and then talking about which way it might go for Duran, who were pretty much spent by '85... it was a long way back from there.

MV5BMTkzNjA4MjgyMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTE1ODIyMDI@._V1_UY1200_CR155,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

This is class.

The Thin Blue Line. True crime doco about the murder of a police officer and the subsequent wrongful conviction of an innocent man. Good stuff. Tells a gripping story in an hour and an a half and doesn't to drag it out forever unlike Making a Murderer.

I liked that. It had me on the fence about what had happened a lot

Hacksaw Ridge also last night.
As others said first hour cheesy, wasnt sure where it was going.
But then onto the war bit, very good, plenty of blood and guts, especially the latter.
Seemed to make out the japs had super powers the way they could kill without having visibility.
But yeah, bit OTT but have to respect the fact its a true story.

First half of Tim burton film about unusual kids. The usual pace of a burton film. The lads weren't too bothered by it. It'll be a hard sell to watch the second half.

Saw Gold last night a couple of hours of twenty foot close ups of Matthew McConaugheys head. Not going to atempt a review but I enjoyed it.

Might not belong in this thread but wot.ev.ah.

Just finished a BBC Doc on Francis Bacon: A Brush With Violence i had recorded last month.

I didn't know anything about him beforehand, just recognised the name. If you had told me he was a poet I wouldn't have argued with you. Anyway, great documentary. He didn't lead a boring life.

Study_after_Velazquez's_Portrait_of_Pope_Innocent_X.jpg

I expect I walked past some of his work in the Tate last March without having noticed. Philistine

BBC Two - Francis Bacon: A Brush with Violence

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back