What movie did you watch last night? (5 Viewers)

mulholland-drive-140306.jpg

I like it too but don't forget The Straight Story

Yeah, love that too but Mulholland Drive (to me) is his most perfectly realised 'Lynch' movie. Just the right amount of weirdness etc.
The Lost Highway did my head in cos No matter how many times I watch it I can't really fully 'get' it.

The Lost Highway did my head in cos No matter how many times I watch it I can't really fully 'get' it.

with the obvious exception of "dune", i would say "lost highway" is certainly the weakest lynch film. no matter how abstract his other films get, there is always a point to them, and a direct sense (it seems lynch explores a particular emotion or concept [e.g. fear of accidental fatherhood in "eraserhead" or the madness of love and jealousy in "mulholland drive"] through his trademark interweaving narratives and dream-logic of re-contextualised imagery in pretty much all his work), except in the case of "lost highway".
i do think it is the only of his films which is guilty of being "weird for weirds sake", and in general it does strike me as confused, underworked and simply just lacking in content. some striking imagery though.
the typically excellent badalamenti score was notably spoiled by the inclusion of tripe by bores such as the smashing pumpkins, marilyn manson, lou reed and bowie.

my balls have exploded.

watched nacho libre which was just plain terrible. weak dialogue and the constant feeling that they were trying way too hard to make a cult movie.

also watched a scanner darkly which i fell asleep half way through, wasnt all that enamoured with it so am gonna give it another shot this week sometime.

watched the king of new york for the 1st time tonight, great movie though i kept waiting to hopefully get a glimpse of avernus' avator.
LOSER!

watched the king of new york for the 1st time tonight, great movie though i kept waiting to hopefully get a glimpse of avernus' avator.
LOSER!

I thought Avernus' avatar was from Donald Cammell's completely nutty film 'Wild Side'.

Walken doesn't have hair like that in 'the king of new york'?

"anchorman": finally seen. excellent, excellent stuff. a few misses (in particular the ending) but for more part highly amusing. the wonderfully over-the-top and occasionally remarkably harsh comedic performances remind me of "strangers with candy" (one episode of which features will ferrell at his best).

watched 'walmart- the high price of low cost' on tuesday night...it was just ok...not narrated which is somewhat kinda weird and unusual..it was a bit blah...off to see borat tonight..it better be good...

watched 'walmart- the high price of low cost' on tuesday night...it was just ok...not narrated which is somewhat kinda weird and unusual..it was a bit blah...off to see borat tonight..it better be good...

got that Walmat doc used on Amazon. Not watched it yet but currently reading a good book about them - The Walmart Effect by Charles Fishman.

said book is currently sittin on my shelf waiting to be read after i finish a really mad right wing book about celebrity..let me know what you think about the doc..its ok but i just found some bits overly heavy handed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back