what is love? chapter 2 (2 Viewers)

oh shit

1. belfast is a really small place. i know a few people posted here recently that they have had breakups and that it must be the time of year. a lot of couples i know have also recently broken up. some of these people are now starting to see other people who are just out of relationships. some of them get condemned for it or whatever by jealous ex-lovers, whose friends sympathise and occassionally get a little too involved, but regardless of that it seems that the new couples (if you will) must feel they are better suited to each other than they were to their old partners. right? or is it that they are just reconfiguring the same types of relationships and that ultimately it doesn't matter who the other person is, but rather that they are attractive, tolerable company, and most importantly available?
this bothers me.

2. what do we mean when we say we are in love with a person? is it that we love someone, or that we love something about someone? when love ends is it usual to say 'they were not really what i thought they were, they weren't really the thing that i loved'? it has been for me... does this mean that love is actually a self-regarding thing, where we are interested not in the person as they exist, but for what we see as their attributes or way of being?
or is this a redundant question, because perhaps there is no such thing as a someone inside and of themselves, no fixed true identity or self - there are only the 'things' that other people see in us?

Is THIS a wolf???

bgibb.jpg

oh shit said:
or is this a redundant question, because perhaps there is no such thing as a someone inside and of themselves, no fixed true identity or self - there are only the 'things' that other people see in us?

i read somewhere recently that a team of brain scientists decided that it takes at least a year for any meaninful bond of love to form between people.

or, love is an addiction.

snakybus said:
do you love your mother?

good question, what is love? it's just a word that describes different relationships?
i also love beer, music, football, and darren from betamax format - all in different ways.

oh shit said:
good question, what is love? it's just a word that describes different relationships?
i also love beer, music, football, and darren from betamax format - all in different ways.

love is like the flu.

Well I don't know what love is but I do know that it keeps surprising me.

I think if you're disillusioned about people breaking up and hooking up with other people, that's fair enough - I don't really believe in the whole "one true love" thing even though it would be nice if it were true. I think people just get on with life and they maybe hook up with whoever's closest sometimes, or whoever they think is kind of cute and easy to get on with. People are flexible. It's disillusioning, yes. That's life.

oh shit said:
1. belfast is a really small place. i know a few people posted here recently that they have had breakups and that it must be the time of year. a lot of couples i know have also recently broken up. some of these people are now starting to see other people who are just out of relationships. some of them get condemned for it or whatever by jealous ex-lovers, whose friends sympathise and occassionally get a little too involved, but regardless of that it seems that the new couples (if you will) must feel they are better suited to each other than they were to their old partners. right? or is it that they are just reconfiguring the same types of relationships and that ultimately it doesn't matter who the other person is, but rather that they are attractive, tolerable company, and most importantly available?
this bothers me.

2. what do we mean when we say we are in love with a person? is it that we love someone, or that we love something about someone? when love ends is it usual to say 'they were not really what i thought they were, they weren't really the thing that i loved'? it has been for me... does this mean that love is actually a self-regarding thing, where we are interested not in the person as they exist, but for what we see as their attributes or way of being?
These questions are hard.
I tried answering them, but I couldn't come up with anything that wasn't a meandering pointless stream of conciousness. Sorry, I tried, its just that this shit is really complicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back