What head? (2 Viewers)

mark

M&S Wine Gums FTW
Thinking of changing my amp head and I'm looking for suggestions/thoughts/opinion?

I love my current amp (Marshall JMP 2203, purchased from Mel Gibson of this manor), but I'm finding it a little limited for what I want to do lately. I want a head as I have a kick ass old Marshall cab that sounds amazing, and it needs to do nice clean tones at a reasonale volume. It can be single channel as I have more pedals then any man needs and it should cost under a grand.

Hit me.

http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/

I bought the Blackstar HT40 1X12 combo awhile ago. Really happy with it so far. Quite Marshall-y sounding drive, which I like ( me other amp is a Marshall JCM 800 4211) Loads of gain, way more that I need, but good to have. The cleans are deadly as well, lots of headroom. The reviews are almost 100% positive. And the prices are reasonable for what you get. Unlike Mesa boogie. Check em out.....

yeah, blackstar are defo an option. had the ht5 until recently and i love the sound of that amp.

ok - same question, different brief:

i am looking for a head between about 5 and 20ish watts - i live in a semi with tolerant neighbours and primarily record, if i'm gigging the band is acoustic based anyways.
it has to be valve based
it has to have a reverb tank, not digital reverb.
at has to be less that 3-400 quid.

at present i've narrowed it down to the laney cub or the blackheart BH15 - neither of which have an inbuilt reverb tank that i can see, but i could be wrong - if someone knows this let me know.
I'm just asking in case i've grossly overlooked somthing. also if anyone is selling, i expect to purchase at the end of next month, the budget could possibly stretch if the right amp exists.

Thinking of changing my amp head and I'm looking for suggestions/thoughts/opinion?

I love my current amp (Marshall JMP 2203, purchased from Mel Gibson of this manor), but I'm finding it a little limited for what I want to do lately. I want a head as I have a kick ass old Marshall cab that sounds amazing, and it needs to do nice clean tones at a reasonale volume. It can be single channel as I have more pedals then any man needs and it should cost under a grand.

Hit me.

Have you ever played through any Traynor/Yorkville gear you liked?
I haven't in years but always liked any of their valve gear I played through back in the day. You seem to see it in Europe a bit more now but I dunno if it is seen as any good by guitarists.

when i lived in toronto in 2004 you were still able to pick up nice old Traynor heads for very little money. if i could find a YBA 1 in decent nick i'd be all over it. the newer traynor stuff is supposed to be cack though.

Hit me.

Have you thought of modding the 2203 for KT88's instead of EL34's?
thats how billy corgan used to run his on the early pumpkins stuff

awh shit,Pete...do I de-repped for mentioning the great baldy one???

My (and Mel's I think) mate Kev was saying your welcome to try his VHT univalve any time ya like Mark. It's deadly for trying out the sounds of loads of different tube combos. He also says there's a guy in Kerry who bought his old Matamp that has a collection of nice stuff that he's buying and selling all the time. I can pass on his contact details if ya want to see if he has anything you'd be interested in...

ha did my old Matamp end up in Kerry? glad Kev managed to sell for a good price anyway!
does he still have that SG junior? always wanted that off him!

ha did my old Matamp end up in Kerry? glad Kev managed to sell for a good price anyway!
does he still have that SG junior? always wanted that off him!

Yeah that's the one. He's still got the SG, I wouldn't let him sell it. I changed the pots and wired it as one tone and one volume pot instead of two volumes. Sounds and plays amazing now. It's also made me fall in love with P90s, I'm gonna have to get at least one for my SG soon.

Yeah that's the one. He's still got the SG, I wouldn't let him sell it. I changed the pots and wired it as one tone and one volume pot instead of two volumes. Sounds and plays amazing now. It's also made me fall in love with P90s, I'm gonna have to get at least one for my SG soon.

sounds nice yeah I was going to rewire it if i'd bought it but Mrs Post office dole woman wouldn't give me any extra cash that week for it,
clearly these clerks aren't educated about bargain vintage guitar deals!
P-90 sound fucking huge...live at leeds made me want them & a superfuzz

My (and Mel's I think) mate Kev was saying your welcome to try his VHT univalve any time ya like Mark. It's deadly for trying out the sounds of loads of different tube combos. He also says there's a guy in Kerry who bought his old Matamp that has a collection of nice stuff that he's buying and selling all the time. I can pass on his contact details if ya want to see if he has anything you'd be interested in...

please do!

Have you thought of modding the 2203 for KT88's instead of EL34's?
thats how billy corgan used to run his on the early pumpkins stuff

it's a different clean tone and a bit more versatility that i'm after. actually, i was going to pm you about your orange head, you still got that? what model? any cop?

mines the original AD30 the single channel one,

DSC00597.jpg

(this isn't my one btw,that couch is fucking horrendous)

anyway it's fucking incredible but it's only 30 watts and it's cleans aren't going to have you playing "wicked game" anytime soon
but it's got a fantastic EQ on it,Adrian from Portishead used it all over third (actually I read he said it's replaced all his vintage amps) it'll do clean but not that glassy pristine fender thing
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

personally I've never got on with channel switching,parallel effect loops and all that shit
give me three band EQ and a gain pot so this is perfect for me
well worth hunting one down on Ebay .|..|

Mark, I'll give Kev you're email and he can hook you up from there. Should really just get him posting on here....

Is that Laney Supergroup still on Adverts? I'd say that'd be nice.

Mark, I'll give Kev you're email and he can hook you up from there. Should really just get him posting on here....

Is that Laney Supergroup still on Adverts? I'd say that'd be nice.

thats Supergroup looked like an awful lot of work.

yep, pass on my emial. thanks!

mark maybe try a 5751 in the V1 slot to lower the gain a bit,it's only got 70% of the gain of a 12ax7
so it might be a bit better for cleans

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back