What do you work as? (1 Viewer)

technical writer.

though at the moment suffering from a cold that makes me feel highly disinclined to do any writing, technical or otherwise.

Educator in a 'progressive'-education private primary school in Germany,
and occasionally exhibiting artist (yeah, the wanky kind) in Ireland... hopefully someday, also in Germany.

depends how high up you are. if your floor staff who's probably getting a pay cut, no probs, if you chaired the meeting that 100% mortgages were introduced in, then i hate you.

People who work in technical fields tend not to be able to spell.

it's less the spelling, more the ... explaining ability. experts might understand the stuff but they frequently can't tell anybody else about it without getting bogged down in unnecessary details, leaving out vital information, providing the information in a sort of random order ("oh, yeah, and another thing, er, actually you maybe needed to know that before that thing, did i mention that thing?"), etc.

i think of myself as a professional explainer of things and/or asker of pertinent questions...

(and i do also train technical people to write their own damn docs)

People who work in technical fields tend not to be able to spell.
This. Plus most of ours are German or Indian. Plus we have several hundred pages of standards and guidelines that have to be applied to our documentation, it's practically a full-time job just knowing and applying them without having to do all the programming on top of it.

There's a "where do you put the comma" type test that you have to do before even getting an interview as a technical writer with us, and well over half of native English speakers who do it fail it.

edit: and that's before you even get into the structuring of information that minka mentioned.

depends how high up you are. if your floor staff who's probably getting a pay cut, no probs, if you chaired the meeting that 100% mortgages were introduced in, then i hate you.

Floor staff. No paycut though. Actually the opposite. Madness!

This. Plus most of ours are German or Indian. Plus we have several hundred pages of standards and guidelines that have to be applied to our documentation, it's practically a full-time job just knowing and applying them without having to do all the programming on top of it.

There's a "where do you put the comma" type test that you have to do before even getting an interview as a technical writer with us, and well over half of native English speakers who do it fail it.

edit: and that's before you even get into the structuring of information that minka mentioned.

You're working for Satan, aren't you?

it's less the spelling, more the ... explaining ability. experts might understand the stuff but they frequently can't tell anybody else about it without getting bogged down in unnecessary details, leaving out vital information, providing the information in a sort of random order ("oh, yeah, and another thing, er, actually you maybe needed to know that before that thing, did i mention that thing?"), etc.

i think of myself as a professional explainer of things and/or asker of pertinent questions...

(and i do also train technical people to write their own damn docs)

Em...you do recall that we used to work together, don't you Minka?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back