What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (8 Viewers)

Coolgardie Gold

Written by an Australian gold prospector about his adventures during the gold rush there in the late 19th century. The writing is crude but enjoyable. Lots of mentions of Billy cans, Swag and using the dungy. He loves tea. He also writes about carrying a bag on his back and also one at the front, he calls this "the Irish tandem" :)

Just started this today -
"Non-places - the anthropology of supermodernity" - by Marc Auge. Looking forward to getting stuck into it.

Read 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' by Hemmingway last week. Absolutely fantastic. It helped that I was in Spain when I read it. Its the first time in ages that I feel compelled to go and read more by the same author.

anyway, three thumbs up from me. Now I have the dilemma of whether to read another book by him that I bought today (can't recall the name), or No Road for Old Men. Might go for the latter cos I got through The Road in about 3 days. They make for fairly light reading for fairly heavy stories.

I recently read Lolita and thought it was amazing. I'm now about 100 pages into 'Reading Lolita in Teheran' and am having mixed feelings about it. It's the memoir of a university professor who quits college and starts a reading group / class in her home made up of her most talented / interested female students.

Some chapters are basically just discussions of literary theory relating to certain books which is a bit off putting since I haven't read a lot of the books mentioned and so these sections can be hard to relate to.

Still its a decent read so far - I think it might turn out to be disappointing though...

Just finished Brideshead Revisited, awesome. Plus now I can watch all those free dvd's of it they gave away with some paper a while ago... Score

The Border Trilogy.

I'm Bored.

I've got that. Read All The Pretty Horses. Good stuff. Read the second one.... it was like, that kid loves horses, this kid loves wolves and there's no punctuation and its all small words. I didn't finish it. Unfortunately. One book at a time methinks, not three in a go.

I thought the ending rescued the book a bit for me - the rest of it was so grim.

yeah, but I liked that book. Didn't feel compelled to read anything else by McCarthy but I started 'No Country for Old Men' last week cos of all the hype about the film.

The book reads like a film, which is disappointing. I'll finish it out though cos its such a light read. Will only take a couple of sittings.

Then back to Hemmingway. Now theres a lad who knew how to write.

Just finished Half of a Yellow Sun, an excellent novel set during the Nigerian civil war.

Reading Ian McEwan's First Love, Last Rites collection at the moment

I thought the ending rescued the book a bit for me - the rest of it was so grim.

I thought the ending kind of came out of nowhere though, it didn't leave me feeling satisfied. Not that the remaining lead character wandering on by himself would have either...

Great book, but very grim indeed. Am now reading We Need to Talk About Kevin for light relief.

Just started this today -
"Non-places - the anthropology of supermodernity" - by Marc Auge. Looking forward to getting stuck into it.
Or rather, not. This made my head hurt so I switched to "Christine Falls" - Benjamin Black (Banville). Rollicking great read which doesn't make my head hurt. Yay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back