What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (6 Viewers)

since having no internets at home:

b26a.jpg

loved it.

gathering.jpg

this......hmm. moments of brilliance, but they were fleeting. dont think i'll be reading enright again in a rush.

have just started

the_reluctant_fundamentalist.jpg

well-received by my mum's book club and they normally don't get things wrong :)

W. V. Quine's 'Theories and Things'
A.W. Moore 'Meaning and Reference'

Tonight it's A.J. Ayer 'Language, Truth and Logic'

My head hurts.

I'm reading japanese short stories - a collection called Rashomon by Akutagawa Ryunosuke. Told in a deceptively simple style, with a little hint of fantasy thrown in.

These were really deadly. The later ones were about his drift to depression up to the point he took his own life at age 35. Not really Christmas present material though.

About to start Botchan by Natsume Soseki

W. V. Quine's 'Theories and Things'
A.W. Moore 'Meaning and Reference'

Tonight it's A.J. Ayer 'Language, Truth and Logic'

My head hurts.

you poor man/woman. Are you planning to read the entire Ayer book in one night. I don't I ever read the whole of a philosophy book except on a couple of very very rare occasions for my thesis. That analytic shit will do your brain in.

I am currently reading this:
JoyceUlysses2.jpg

Very much a spurt of doing one of those I've said I'd do for absolutely ages.
Of course my copy doesn't look like this.

Out by Natsua Kirino.

4 women working a factory night shift job in Japan end up taking part in the dismembering of one of their husband's bodies. started reading half heartedly but got sucked in. good read

Franny and Zooey by Salinger, lots of bathroom chats, good so far.
Also got The Best of Myles..Flann O'Brien and starting that.
The entertainment! would knock ya sideways

just finished 'Your blue eyed boy' by Helen Dunmore
Just started 'The Collector' by John Fowles
Also got 'the stories of John Cheever' on the go.
And have to read Henry iv part one for college. sheesh.

About to start Botchan by Natsume Soseki

Just finished this. Really, really enjoyable book. If you like JD Salinger (who doesn't?) or Buckowski or Vernon God Little (i.e. emotionally underdeveloped, plain speaking male characters) you'd really enjoy this. Most widely read work of fiction in japan apparently.

9/10

Now starting Love in the Time of Cholera.

In the last 3 weeks;

Tom Sawyer/Huckelberry Finn - both by Mark Twains (2 of the cleverest, wittiest books I've ever read, particularly the latter)

The Importance of Being Earnest - Oscar Wilde (picked it up for $4 in Boston and read it in a couple of hours. Hilarious, loaded language that you'd expect from Wilde).

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee (read the whole book in one day - making up for this passing me by in my childhood).

Currently reading Kite Runner by K[SIZE=-1]haled Hossein. Enjoyable, if a little disturbing in parts. Very easy to read too.[/SIZE]

Currently reading Kite Runner by K[SIZE=-1]haled Hossein. Enjoyable, if a little disturbing in parts. Very easy to read too.[/SIZE]

yea i really enjoyed that.opened my eyes to just how bad the Taliban were/are.

just finished the Virgin Suicides. Saw the film ages ago but am really glad i read the book. Eugenides is such a fucking good writer. He captures adolescence so well. A bit of a strange novel; unapologetically romanticized but it offers no answers/revelations, no corny coming-of-age.very depressing in all honesty.

It by Stephen King. I read The Stand again recently and had a hankering for more King.

I have Northern Lights there and still have to finish God is Not Great, but sometimes I have to read stuff I know so I don't have to concentrate too much. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back