What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (10 Viewers)

sarah said:
the only book I've ever read by joyce is the dubliners and what a yawn it was well written but nothing of note. The whole idea of Ulyssees bores me. I reckon half the reason he's so lauded is that most people are afraid to admit they never got to the end of it:p

Ulysses is quality. Fuck the idea of it and read it instead

yeah i've really got to read The Music of Chance. i'm doing thesis proposal research at the moment and that's one of his books that keeps getting referred to in criticism, and it's his only major book that I haven't read. i think. recently i have been frequently seen staggering the corridors of ucd under a comically large pile of auster-related stuff.
i :heart: :heart: :heart: my daily occupation so much :)

Super Dexta said:
yeah i've really got to read The Music of Chance. i'm doing thesis proposal research at the moment and that's one of his books that keeps getting referred to in criticism, and it's his only major book that I haven't read. i think. recently i have been frequently seen staggering the corridors of ucd under a comically large pile of auster-related stuff.
i :heart: :heart: :heart: my daily occupation so much :)
wow sounds interesting! the one criticism I'd have is that
if you read a few of his books and throw the autobiography in the middle of it his characters seem a bit repetitive and predictable but the plot makes up for it.

is moon palace the one where the protagonist turns hobo? or the silent film one.. they blur in my shoddy memory banks.

sarah said:
is moon palace the one where the protagonist turns hobo? or the silent film one.. they blur in my shoddy memory banks.

The Hobo one. I know what you mean about shoddy memory banks. I've read and enjoyed lots of books but within a few weeks haven't been able to outline the plot, recall the characters or anything....

snakybus said:
dubliners is great

portrait of the artist is also good

i like portrait of the artist best of dubliners, ulysses and portrait of the artist.
i did also like the other 2 alot.

currently i'm reading:

saturday - ian mcEwen
general in his labryinth - gabriel garcia marquez
plot against america - philip roth

Finished Tess of the D'Urbevilles last night - what a heartbreaker. Highly, highly recommended. Thomas Hardy really has the english language on a string.

Am now readin 'Why we are hungry' which is a short story collection by Dave Eggers. I liked his first two novels and his 'very short stories' so i reckoned I'd hack away at this. It's ok so far, but my brain is still recovering from Tess of the DBs.

Ham on Rye - Charles Bukowski.

Finished it today at lunch. Felt like putting a gun in my mouth. Very downbeat, very funny, very very good. Prefer Post Office, though...or do I?!

Being the Richard Madeley of Thumped, I've just finished Cloud Atlas. Wasn't that impressed. The Sonmi story was pretty cool, as was the Luisa Rey one. But it's very derivative.

Now reading Norwegian Wood - which is so far, so good.

Why am I telling an internet board this? I just don't know. I really just don't.

ive just finished "rememberance day" by brian aldiss. ive been diggin his books a lot lately and this one is particularly good. one of his non-sci-fi ones. i give it plenty of .|..|

think i might dig out some ray bradbury short stories for the weekend...

I decided against reading the dave eggers book - the short stories were too much of a culture shock after the previous book i read. I'm reading A Moveable Feast by ernest hemingway instead. It's an account of his time in Paris in the 1920s with people like F Scott Fitzgerald and Gertruse Stein. It's also quite a romantic account of his life with his first wife. So far so good anyhow.

Why am I telling you all this?

I gave up on Cancer Ward... I've decided to only read stuff that I find entertaining. So I started "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke. It's very good.

nEiLo said:
I gave up on Cancer Ward... I've decided to only read stuff that I find entertaining. So I started "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" by Susanna Clarke. It's very good.

i gave up on the gulag archipelago by that guy too, after 6 months and a couple of hundred pages. was interesting enough but i couldnt follow it at all, with all the names and historical references i didnt understand. i think he wrote it for russians to read anyway. [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

This thread had slipped to page four, which is obviously a sign that you are all waiting to find out what I was reading last night. It was Madame Bovary by Flaubert. I have about a hundred pages to go - it's enjoyable enough but I think Anna Karenina tells the same type of story better.

After this I'll take a break from the 'woman in love against all social ordinances' novels of the nineteenth century and read Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut, which was recommended to me by the Thumped faithful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back