What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (7 Viewers)

Last edited:
can anyone recommend a thriller/murder mystery set around xmas? gift for someone. got them Mystery In White by Jefferson Farjeon last year, went down well apparently

can anyone recommend a thriller/murder mystery set around xmas? gift for someone. got them Mystery In White by Jefferson Farjeon last year, went down well apparently

Joseph Leland is an aging, retired NYPD detective on his way to Los Angeles to visit his daughter for a Christmas party hosted by her boss, Mr. Rivers. Although retired, he still habitually carries his Browning Hi-Power pistol with him everywhere, paranoically carrying it onto planes by using his old badge in fear of a terrorist attack. On the plane, Leland begins a relationship with a stewardess named Kathy, who he talks to throughout the novel over the phone. Leland is still somewhat depressed that his wife had left him and then died eight years later, and the relationship between him and his daughter is strained. He hopes that this visit will help the relationship, but when the building is taken over, he uses his experience with terrorists to kill them all and save the hostages. He is depicted as a disturbed hero from his Second World War fighter pilot days, and it is hinted that if he never got involved that nobody would have been killed. In Die Hard, his name is John McClane and he is portrayed by Bruce Willis.

Nothing Lasts Forever (Thorp novel) - Wikipedia

Speaking of difficult, has anyone copped a look at Alan Moore's new novel Jerusalem yet? Was looking at it in a bookshop last week. It's insanely long ... 1000+ pages of pretty densely packed text. And it looks really meandering and convoluted too. I've only a passing interest in Moore so not enough to commit to something like this but, like, Jesus .. some editing maybe?

What's the story with Solar Bones? One-line? Really?
I got it ages ago and so far I've gotten through the prologue and about ten pages into the first chapter. It's good but it's not exactly a page turner.
is his first novel any good? I've never been mad on his comics but the novels do sound intriguing.

autobiography_0_1.jpg

the writing is shocking flowery so far (20 pages in).

resumed this after taking a break and now I'm almost finished.

It's decent overall but is about 100 pages too long. The later chapters are terrible. The one about the horses and about 9/11.

I love Bruce but this could have done with better editing.

I am currently been killed by purity by Jonathan franzen, anyone else read it?
I did. It didn't leave much of impression though, other than I didn't enjoy it. I shouldn't've bothered reading it, actually, I don't think I liked the previous one either.

I shouldn't've bothered reading it, actually, I don't think I liked the previous one either.
I've been not reading for months because I'm halfway through some Murakami book and I've finally realised that I dislike his stupid, lazy, samey, garbage stories. And this is about the fifth one I've read!

I've been not reading for months because I'm halfway through some Murakami book and I've finally realised that I dislike his stupid, lazy, samey, garbage stories. And this is about the fifth one I've read!

Lol :)

Which one are you reading? I loved the first four or so I read, but can't read him anymore either. Not that I think he's bad, I'm just done with him.

Edit. Just noticed from another thread that I've read way more than I thought! No wonder I'm done with him.

Rate all their book: Haruki Murakami:

1989: A Wild Sheep Chase: 8
1991: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World: 9
1994: Dance-Dance-Dance: 8.5
1997: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle: 9
2000: Norwegian Wood: 7
2000: South of the Border, West of the Sun: 6.5
2001: Sputnik Sweetheart: 6
2005: Kafka on the Shore: 7.5
2007: After Dark: 6
2011: 1Q84: 6.5

Non Fiction

2000: Underground: 9
2008: What I Talk about When I Talk About Running: 8.5

Rate all of their books

Last edited:
Which one are you reading?
Wind-Up Bird. And it's the EXACT SAME as 1Q84 (which I probably only read because a big book feels like good value) and Kafka on the Shore. Also read Norwegian Wood a long, long time ago but I don't remember anything about it, and the running one. I think I liked him because of the running one and that's why I thought I liked his books but I definitely don't.

I also took up running, but you've to wash your hair every time so it's not worth it.

Wind-Up Bird. And it's the EXACT SAME as 1Q84 (which I probably only read because a big book feels like good value) and Kafka on the Shore. Also read Norwegian Wood a long, long time ago but I don't remember anything about it, and the running one. I think I liked him because of the running one and that's why I thought I liked his books but I definitely don't.

I also took up running, but you've to wash your hair every time so it's not worth it.

I really liked Wind Up Bird - it was the 2nd one I read. But I tired quite quickly of IQ84, seven or eight books later. So we feel the same, except in reverse.

The Wind Up Bird has a great bit with a well, and a grotesque segment about some lad's skin.

The running one is ace alright, but it never tempted me to buy a pair of runners or more shampoo. Lol - best excuse for not running I ever heard (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back