What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

Burn it afterwards.

Are they a con? Well, the vitamins you buy in a jar I mean, not vitamins as such.
Nope they're not a con.
However,You don't need to take them if you eat a halfway balanced diet.They only cause problems when you are deficient in them...Scurvy and nutritional blindness and god knows what else.

Also..and this I found particularly interesting....you need a whole factory to make one vitamin...and thats all it can do.You can't make C on a Monday then D on a tuesday.No way jose.

And by factory..I mean full on enormous chemical plant.So large in fact that theres not many can do it..so 80% of the worlds supply comes from a few factories in China these days..used to be teh Netherlands..and are then wholesaled to your various repackagers...to fortify cornflakes or be sold in the health shop or whatever.

Its a fascinating book altogether

The ingredients in Aldis multivitamins come from the same place as Holland & Barretts essentially

My understanding is that unless you have a specific need that is unmet by your diet, multivitamins are just a way of making expensive urine.
Thats it in a nutshell.

Unfuckingreal money in it.If you are in the vitamins game you are sitting pretty

Did you read it? He's on about wanting to ride his 13 and 14 year old neighbours and the character (clearly based on the author himself) is 28.

A long time ago now, I'll have to go back to it again, I missed all that stuff. I always liked Kavanagh.

Nope they're not a con.
However,You don't need to take them if you eat a halfway balanced diet.They only cause problems when you are deficient in them...Scurvy and nutritional blindness and god knows what else.

Also..and this I found particularly interesting....you need a whole factory to make one vitamin...and thats all it can do.You can't make C on a Monday then D on a tuesday.No way jose.

And by factory..I mean full on enormous chemical plant.So large in fact that theres not many can do it..so 80% of the worlds supply comes from a few factories in China these days..used to be teh Netherlands..and are then wholesaled to your various repackagers...to fortify cornflakes or be sold in the health shop or whatever.

Its a fascinating book altogether

The ingredients in Aldis multivitamins come from the same place as Holland & Barretts essentially

So, buy generic? Useful info, I'll tell my sister, she pops those things like Smarties.

A long time ago now, I'll have to go back to it again, I missed all that stuff. I always liked Kavanagh.

I really liked it in spite of this element and it seems it is presumably deliberately illustrative of the protagonist's immaturity as much as anything else that he is wondering about whether these tweens have had the ride or not.

I really liked it in spite of this element and it seems it is presumably deliberately illustrative of the protagonist's immaturity as much as anything else that he is wondering about whether these tweens have had the ride or not.

Thinking back, maybe I didn't read that one, it may well have been The Green Fool. Still they have Tarry Flynn in the library, gonna grab it on my way home.

I've been going through a spell of reading very enjoyable but serious novels.
Just finished Spill, Simmer, Wither, Falter by Sara Baume.
Moving onto Mapp and Lucia today for a bit of the old light reading. Huzzah!

Recently read Tarry Flynn by Patrick Kavanagh and I found parts of it hilarious despite the author/protagonist being a bit of a total nonce. It also gave me insight into how people in rural Ireland of my parents' time and before were constrained by social expectations and saving face. It is not something growing up in '90s suburban Dublin I faced much of, except with regard to my parents.

Three chapters in and I'm really enjoying this. He has yet to get into seriously dodgy territory.

The Invisible Man by HG Wells

An absolute masterpiece.10/10

Its so good I'm rationing it out daily, because its not very long

those sci-fi classics are brilliant. day of the triffids is another excellent read despite thinking you know exactly what it's going to give you.

The Invisible Man is more akin to PG Wodehouse or A.C.Doyle than it would be to the exemplary sci fi of John Wyndham.

The gags come hard and fast..as does the action.The wordplay is exquisite..I find myself marvelling at some of the sentences

I'll be procuring The Island Of Dr.Moreau tomorrow for my weekend reading.I'd say its bananas.

It amazes me I never read either of these before

61wIQJP40sL.jpg

Really enjoyed this. Aside from a few articles here and there over the years and bits on telly didn't really know the kraftwerk story. very interesting. Ralf and Florian seem like dicks to some extent. and Karl Bartos seemed to be the man for the tunage. and wolfgang seemed to be pretty bitter with Ralf many years after leaving. while the two boys were obviously extremely talented with developing and manipulating technology, they were also pretty crafty in their ways. Producer Conny Plank basically came up with a lot of bits and pieces which they listened to and took off him (in the earlier days anyway), turning those bits and pieces into a little tune called autobahn in one instance. interesting read if you don't know much about the men behind the robots, might be old hat for someone clued in on their kraftwerk history.

Finished "half of a yellow sun" by chimamanda ngozi adichie. I prefer it to her other two novels.

It is set during the nigerian-biafran war of the late sixties and it get me wondering, has there been novels set with the background being 1916 rising, war of independence and/or Irish civil war? Only one comes to mind being "dream of the Celt" by Mario Vargas llosa about roger casement.

Anyway the next on my list is "talking to ourselves" by Andres neuman

Ah yeah. Roddy Doyle. Jamie O'Neill. What's that one that is the One City One Book thing at the moment?

513bx7p4FeL._SX338_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

1430998a63b5c2c53b262ac0344c70c2.jpg

Holiday reading last week.

The Fron-Goch book is quite terrible. 'nuff said.

Rage is very light going. Read it in a day. Kind of a Breakfast Club thing going on with it. Enjoyable enough. Suitable for reading on a plane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back