What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (7 Viewers)

Ah
I'm just over half way through, and am enjoying it. Love the short chapters, which keep it pacy. I know what you mean though - it is certainly written for a mainstream audience. But that's ok, and even thinking this (which I do frequently) while reading it on the bus, makes me feel like a patronising arse.

Can't wait for A Manual For Cleaning Women. I much prefer paperbacks, but have been told it wont be available in that format until late summer/ Autumn. Might have to break my own no-hardback rules this time.
Ah no I'm enjoying it as well, the short chapters are very moreish. He knows what he's doing. It's a good story, very engaging.

I'm nearly finished All The Light We Cannot See - not sure how I feel about it really, it's a bit "book clubby". I started off being annoyed about the overly lyrical writing, then just got into the story, which is a bit of a page turner. I'll be happy to finish it though.
I've also been reading and very much enjoying A Manual For Cleaning Women - short stories by Lucia Berlin.

I enjoyed that alright. Good auld story. Abrupt as fook ending if I remember correctly.

The Hungry Years by William Leith

Enjoyable.

The new library has opened in town and I'm pretty excited about it.Gonna try read a book a week from now on

51y1%2BmGd3OL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Well, parts of it at least.
The guy who provides al Queda, ISIS etc with a theological justification for offensive jihad. He's a compelling writer who presents his case well, I can see how people might be 'radicalised' by his writings.

https://azelin.files.wordpress.com/...al-stage-through-which-the-umma-will-pass.pdf

Gonna start that later, in a similar vein except Naji provides a strategy through which to wage the offensive jihad.

Swamplandia!

The family's alligator theme park is going down the tubes, Mam has passed away, Dad has checked out for a while, the sister may or may not be dating a ghost, the brother has legged it to a rival theme park.... all leaving 13 year old Ava to figure out the whole mess and track down her sister with the help of a stranger called Birdman.

What's not to like?!

Swamp.jpg

I'm halfway through Saturday by Ian McEwan.

Its very good so far

The Bloody Chamber is great. Angela Carter is the fucking best!

Although half the time I haven't a clue what she's on about.
I've never read any of her stuff before, I've owned this for 6 years and have only gotten around to it now. The two stories I've read so far are great, she manages to do something really interesting with the fairy tale format. I'll probably re-read them again before the year is out as the imagery and the language is fantastic.

I haven't finished a book since november :(

I'm reading Herzog by Saul Bellow and enjoying it very much.
Good book but I probably spoiled it a bit by reading only a few pages at a time every second or third sunday. I never got fully absorbed in it and it seemed to fizzle out a bit.

Next: The Attic by Danilo Kis. It's only about 100 pages so I should be able to cope with it sensibly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back