What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

Read a few alternative translations and tell us which is best.

translation seems to be an artform in itself.
i recently read farewell, cowboy by olja savicevic and i felt the translator did a superbjob in capturing the poeticness and descriptive of the original work.

of course, without me knowing croatian, it could have been originally rubbish and all the texturing and beauty of the novel is in fact the translators work and not the authors.

----
i finished "their lips talk of mischief" by alan warner on sunday.
good novel, humourous though i think it kind of ran out of steam towards the end.

The Mark and the Void (Paul Murray) - it's a bit of a mess, but he has enough of a gift at writing comic farce to keep it moving along.. There's clearly a wealth of material for social satire and scrutiny in the banking crisis / bailout era but I feel like it needs more of a light touch and a tighter focus, there were whole chunks of narrative in this that felt like they were a primer for people who couldn't remember the news circa 2008 (and the main character sometimes feels like he's mostly there to be a cipher for this). Wouldn't go nearly as far as that Irish Times review (I wonder if putting a female literary critic character who fawns over the latest Booker prize winner in the book might have triggered a bit of prickliness there) as I did find sections of it quite funny and incisive but a bit disappointed overall.

Here, did you finish Bros K in the end? I need to go back to it and start writing family trees so I knew who the fuck everyone is.

lisa-simpson-reading-a-book.jpg

The Mark and the Void (Paul Murray) - it's a bit of a mess, but he has enough of a gift at writing comic farce to keep it moving along.. There's clearly a wealth of material for social satire and scrutiny in the banking crisis / bailout era but I feel like it needs more of a light touch and a tighter focus, there were whole chunks of narrative in this that felt like they were a primer for people who couldn't remember the news circa 2008 (and the main character sometimes feels like he's mostly there to be a cipher for this). Wouldn't go nearly as far as that Irish Times review (I wonder if putting a female literary critic character who fawns over the latest Booker prize winner in the book might have triggered a bit of prickliness there) as I did find sections of it quite funny and incisive but a bit disappointed overall.

I loved Skippy Dies, but I'm feeling some reluctance here. Not sure why, maybe its the subject matter. Will probably wait for the paperback. My sister said I could have her copy, but I'm not biting...

next on my list. Will get to it at the weekend. Looking forward to it.

I started reading THE BOOK OF THE SEASON

24189224.jpg

It is easy to read and entertaining and pretty flimsy tbh

I finished The Winter of Frankie Machine yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just started The Power of the Dog which I like so far. Probably take me ages to finish because my reading has been really bad recently.

5181WQRRKCL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Also got two new volumes of Thomas Ligotti short stories, which I’m looking forward to getting stuck into.

Next: Redcliffe by David Storey
It sounds like I should have read The Idiot first.
Radcliffe by David Storey
radcliffe.JPG
Weird fucking book, and not in a good way. Weird people being weird and/or horrible at each other for no apparent reason e.g. saying bizarre shit, shitting in sandwiches, unpleasant sexual encounters, people carrying hammers around with them. All written in a really awkward style.

The Immoralist by Andre Gide
This was much better.

Radcliffe by David Storey
View attachment 10977
Weird fucking book, and not in a good way. Weird people being weird and/or horrible at each other for no apparent reason e.g. saying bizarre shit, shitting in sandwiches, unpleasant sexual encounters, people carrying hammers around with them. All written in a really awkward style.
Ha that sounds great

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back