What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (4 Viewers)

Saw them starting that race in Trim a few months back the website tracks each contestants progress but I didnt really have chance to check it. Seems to be a difficult one to do though especially going at it solo.
Yeah, it's supposed to be the most challenging endurance race in Europe. The solo guys take only a couple of hours off every 24 hours to sleep, mad shit.

The Black Spider by Jeremias Gotthelf

Good Halloween reading for arachnophobes, creepy as fuck.

After one of their own members repeatedly fails to live up to a pact with the Devil, a petty and morally bankrupt village community is terrorized by a succession of deadly black spiders. First published in 1842, this haunting cautionary novella shrewdly dissects the iniquitous social dynamics of rural life through the use of dark satire and realism.

Yes, it was, thanks. I didn't give the communism one much of a chance in fairness. I'm reading On the Loose by John Stroud now.

Old enough to want to run away from a loveless home, but too young to know where to go, Royston Beedman is a small boy on the loose. Royston is the wretched result of an adoption gone wrong...

I'm reading On the Loose by John Stroud now.
That was quite good, not amazing but not bad.

Next: Redcliffe by David Storey

David Storey's Radcliffe (1963) is a Gothic novel in which a metaphysical dimension to the spiritual horror develops out of the novel's uncanny correspondence with The Idiot. Radcliffe easily brings to mind Dostoyevsky; it has all the elements -- the drama of a split psyche; exaggerated characters; sadism, masochism, rape; incest, murder, and madness; a focus on isolated suffering through dreams and hallucinations; and analyses by the characters of one another and of issues related to the theme -- so that most of the early reviewers inevitably mention Dostoyevsky. "For his organization here, as for other things, Mr. Storey also leans heavily on Dostoyevsky." "t is a little as though Dostoevsky had set his hand to rewritingThe Fall of the House of Usher." None of the reviewers, however, pursues the parallels with Dostoyevsky. The Dictionary of Literary Biographytreats Radcliffe as an amalgam of the best and worst elements of Dostoyevsky, and Malcolm Pittock, who has written the best commentary on the novel, considers the Dostoyevskian presence as a rather extraneous literary overlay beneath which lies a powerful novel of homosexual relationships.

It sounds like I should have read The Idiot first.

Some ponce wrote that blurb about Radcliffe that I posted. It's just one of those English penguin social dramas from the 50s/ 60s. I love them. I've yet to find one better than A Kind Of Loving by Stan Barstow. Has anyone got other excellent examples of this kinda book?

I struggled to give a toss about any of it all the way to the last page. Never read any other Dostoevsky because of it. Turgid.

Admittedly it's probably my least favourite of his. If you wanna try another go with The Gambler, its relatively short but quite enjoyable.
(I was originally gonna recommend Spring Torrents but that's by Chekhov. Still, well worth a look if you're so inclined).

Admittedly it's probably my least favourite of his. If you wanna try another go with The Gambler, its relatively short but quite enjoyable.
(I was originally gonna recommend Spring Torrents but that's by Chekhov. Still, well worth a look if you're so inclined).
Here, did you finish Bros K in the end? I need to go back to it and start writing family trees so I knew who the fuck everyone is.

Someday maybe, thanks for the recommendations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back