What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (8 Viewers)

I'm reading the Burning of Bridget Cleary about the last women in Ireland burned for being a witch. Good stuff so far, lots of fairy talk.

Incidentally my edition has a much more academic cover than this:

41D0SmVpxJL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It also led me to find this band with an offensive name (CC @johnnystress)

Burning Bridget Cleary | High Energy Celtic Trad Band | Home

Last edited:
Didn't know there was a book on poor Bridget. I wouldn't have thought there was enough of a story or at least the details to sustain one, what would i know though?

Well I'm only two chapters in but it's largely a cultural history of Ireland at the time. I think her main mission is to try get modern (circa 1999) readers to understand the mindset in rural Ireland at the time that could lead to this kind of thing.

Well I'm only two chapters in but it's largely a cultural history of Ireland at the time. I think her main mission is to try get modern (circa 1999) readers to understand the mindset in rural Ireland at the time that could lead to this kind of thing.

Pre-electricity anything and everything was possible. Or maybe there's more to it, did the husband cry witchcraft to try exonerate himself?

yeah tell him Freedom was shite
This was really good. The first half was some literary professor/critic quizzing him about Freedom – he wasn’t allowed talk about Purity. Franzen looked so uncomfortable throughout. He said a number of times that he didn’t really like interpreting his books. Kind of made me warm to him a lot more. He was way more relaxed during the audience Q&A because he got the usual inane questions about how he made his characters so realistic. At one point he misgendered a woman asking a question which was really awkward. He said a few things which could be interpreted as un-PC and you get a sense that it's an incomplete thought or just a way to ease the tension and it comes out sounding wrong. Then people jump all over it because it’s easier to do that than get the context. I suspect he’s slightly Aspergers. Got a copy of Freedom signed by him.

I've never read anything by him. Was kind of turned off by the whole idea of another white guy talking about self-important white guy things, would you recommend him?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back