What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

The_Duke_of_Burgundy_UK_Poster.jpg

The Duke Of Burgundy.

Looked great. Sounded great, definitely must pick up the soundtrack. Story was okay. 7/10

I read another of his called Cartesian Sonatas which was pretty good. It has four novellas. They were all good and one of them (Emma Enters A Sentence Of Elizabeth Bishop's) was really great.

I picked up a collection of his essays in Chapters a week or two ago, I'm a bit put off reading it after ITHOTHOTC

In the Heart of the Heart of the Country by William H. Gass. I didn't really enjoy this at all and I expected to love it. It had it's moments but it was mostly tedious, trying too hard. I'll have to reconsider adding The Tunnel to my to-read list. To be fair to it, it did have a nice cover.

20553473.jpg

I had a go at this a while back, but I really struggled to finish the first story, I found it incredibly irritating. Been meaning to get back to it so I can finish the rest... someday.

I just died a little reading these two quotes. Love this book. Love his rage as a writer. Closest thing to him in formal dazzle would be the American poet John Ashbery.

Shame about In the Heart of the Heart of the Country.
Great title, lovely cover, and I had a very nice perception of it.

Might give it a miss now. Highly regarded though, isn't it?

That is a lovely looking edition. As are all NYBR editions. I have the Dalkey one myself - also lovely.

I read another of his called Cartesian Sonatas which was pretty good. It has four novellas. They were all good and one of them (Emma Enters A Sentence Of Elizabeth Bishop's) was really great.

I picked up a collection of his essays in Chapters a week or two ago, I'm a bit put off reading it after ITHOTHOTC

His essay on Robert Walser is brilliant. I think he's about as committed and serious as a writer can be without resorting to the usual emotionalised, psychological, realist novel bullshit.

I haven't read Cartesian Sonata. Think I might tackle Omensetter's Luck before it though.

Are you planning to read The Tunnel?

I'm all over the place. I have a hungering for William Faulkner at the minute.

Give me ten years and if I'm still alive I'll give The Tunnel ago.

Jr by Gaddis is my big book for this year.

Last big book was Gravity's Rainbow which remains unfinished but I aim to get back to it.

Shit like this is for life, not just for Christmas.

There's a thing in one of the Bolano books where a character, ironically presumably on Bolano's part, states his preference for consumable shorter books.

I prefer Barthelme's stance on Finnegan's Wake when it comes to this stuff.

Two weeks off my anti-depressants and I am fucked. The weather here would you strangle you. Fuuuuuuuck.

Currently under-taking a thesis on failure which in it's infant state will cover William Gaddis and David Markson's final tetralogy.

Where it will go, I dunno.

I have absolutely fallen in love with Markson this year. Never read him before.

He gives seriously entertaining interviews as well

like this one

Web Conjunctions: An Interview with David Markson, by Tayt Harlin

Current reading:
Vanishing Point by David Markson
Jr by William Gaddis (rhythmic rant style. ggggreat stuff)
Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry

All are pretty strong. In short: Long live failure.

I'm all over the place. I have a hungering for William Faulkner at the minute.

Give me ten years and if I'm still alive I'll give The Tunnel ago.

Jr by Gaddis is my big book for this year.

Last big book was Gravity's Rainbow which remains unfinished but I aim to get back to it.

Shit like this is for life, not just for Christmas.

There's a thing in one of the Bolano books where a character, ironically presumably on Bolano's part, states his preference for consumable shorter books.

I prefer Barthelme's stance on Finnegan's Wake when it comes to this stuff.

Two weeks off my anti-depressants and I am fucked. The weather here would you strangle you. Fuuuuuuuck.

Currently under-taking a thesis on failure which in it's infant state will cover William Gaddis and David Markson's final tetralogy.

Where it will go, I dunno.

I have absolutely fallen in love with Markson this year. Never read him before.

He gives seriously entertaining interviews as well

like this one

Web Conjunctions: An Interview with David Markson, by Tayt Harlin

Current reading:
Vanishing Point by David Markson
Jr by William Gaddis (rhythmic rant style. ggggreat stuff)
Under the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry

All are pretty strong. In short: Long live failure.
here listen, just cos you like Joyce doesn't mean you get to write your posts like Joyce.

here listen, just cos you like Joyce doesn't mean you get to write your posts like Joyce.

Wait a New York Minute!

Who says I like Joyce?

I've read two chapters of Ulysses, and all of Dubliners. That's it.

I would like to read more Ulysses though.

The Barthelme quote is merely an attitude that I agree with - i.e we may read these things, we may not read these things, we may try to read these things - but the important thing is that they're adding to the consciousness of the culture somehow, hopefully...

The_Duke_of_Burgundy_UK_Poster.jpg

The Duke Of Burgundy.

Looked great. Sounded great, definitely must pick up the soundtrack. Story was okay. 7/10

Great film. Holy shit. Emotionally, temporally complex stuff and not a single wasted shot. Aesthetic to the hilt. Holy cow, good mother. Funny too, a lot of painful laughs. The Danish woman is phenomenal. Cannot believe she is Danish. It turned me on but I didn't get an erection - what does that say? Wait, maybe there was some slight nub action...

I'm now about halfway through In the Light of What We Know by Zia Haider Rahman. It's very engrossing as far as the plot goes but I'm not sure how mad I am about the way he's writing it. Its an easy read, page turner kind of a thing which is what I'm in the humour for after the tiresome Gass book.

24155587.jpg

Well, that turned out to be a load of tiresome shite. The most bloated, overblown wank of a book ever. There were hints of an intriguing plot which kept me going to the end but when I found out what happened it was all a bit of a let down. The best thing about it was realising that 90% of it is completely skippable.

Wait a New York Minute!

Who says I like Joyce?

I've read two chapters of Ulysses, and all of Dubliners. That's it.

I would like to read more Ulysses though.

The Barthelme quote is merely an attitude that I agree with - i.e we may read these things, we may not read these things, we may try to read these things - but the important thing is that they're adding to the consciousness of the culture somehow, hopefully...
Oh just generally. Your disjointed posts are hard to read but also they intrigue me, don't stop.

Currently reading This is How You Lose her by Junot Diaz which is a short story collection set in the Dominican American community in New Jersey. Lovely stuff.
diaz22_2331390a.jpg

Next up is IT, which will be my Stephen King book since my school days. I really have no idea what to expect.

Currently reading This is How You Lose her by Junot Diaz which is a short story collection set in the Dominican American community in New Jersey. Lovely stuff.
diaz22_2331390a.jpg

Next up is IT, which will be my Stephen King book since my school days. I really have no idea what to expect.

hadn't heard of this. Oscar Wao was a great book. Will definitely get on this but, being a true hipster, I'll wait til its gone out of fashion.

diaz22_2331390a.jpg

Just finished that a week or so ago. Loved it. Beautiful writing, despite the profanities! Would've loved to have had a Latino guide for all the terms describing the various types of girls and lads. I kind of got them, but not totally.

IT is deadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back