What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

I've only read 3 of those (and heard of about 10). The Information by James Gleick is pretty great but I didn't think The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell or C by Tom McCarthy were anything to write home about.

I've only read 3 of those (and heard of about 10). The Information by James Gleick is pretty great but I didn't think The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell or C by Tom McCarthy were anything to write home about.

Of the ones I've read, I really liked
Skippy Dies - Paul Murray
A Visit from the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan
Bark - Lorrie Moore
The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt
NY - Zadie Smith,
The Art of Fielding - Chad Barbach

C is the only one from that list I've read and it was OK. One book from this decade that I loved that isn't on that list is Will Self's Umbrella which is the first new book I've read in a long time that felt like it was doing something other than telling a story.

In fairness, it could have been any one of these!
lewis carroll books - Google Search

What's his other stuff like, do you know?
You know I haven't read them. The general consensus seems to be that they're not great but I haven't a clue. I should actually go seek them out.

1865...!! Forgot it was that old
The Alice books were kinda revolutionary as non instructional childrens books were few and far between back then. The fact that it spends so much time making fun of that kind of book is part of the joke.

I've read:

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet - which I thought was great but I need to read again as I read it on audiobook and it didn't lend itself terribly well to the form.

The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt - which was good but not exactly life changing imho

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan - one of the worst books I have ever read

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - ah it's great

I started Skippy Dies but I wasn't loving it; all south-side kids problems and sneery writing about adults, I'll have to get back to it and see if it picks up.

so in conclusion, fuck that list tbh

Last edited:
Having said all that I really like everything i've read by Teju Cole so I might seek their number 1 out

my more modest 40 books this year is flying along! It's much more fun being way ahead than way behind

@Shaney how's it going for you so far?
Not great at all
gr.PNG
One of the two books I've read this year I started last year. I guess I'm not really a book person anymore.
gr2.PNG
This graphic is either more encouraging or more sarcastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back