What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (9 Viewers)

So I'm reading Elect Mr Robinson for a Better World. Surreal, comic satire about the grisly goings on in a small community in a vaguely post-apocalyptic America. Darkly funny.
40343_large.jpg

its pretty much a 500+ page ad for his Pono-player thing (named PureTone at the time of writing the book)

Saw that for sale second hand nearby. Is it worth a read Scuts? I can't imagine ever needing to read anything about Neil again after Shakey but I wouldn't mind to have it, unless it's completely useless.

Saw that for sale second hand nearby. Is it worth a read Scuts? I can't imagine ever needing to read anything about Neil again after Shakey but I wouldn't mind to have it, unless it's completely useless.
its pretty poor but am about halfway into it now and hes actually starting to tell some interesting music-related stories.

If you can pick it up cheaply enough, scan through the bullshit without wasting too much time with it, and focus in on the parts about the music, it might be worthwhile.

I'm going to finish it out. I'll report back. If he goes on about that fucking pono player again though its going in the bin.

i'm reading 'into the silence' by wade davis - on the attempts on everest in the 1920s. it's heading for 'best book i've read all year' status.

Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest by Wade Davis – review | Books | The Observer

The medical doctor on that trip was Hingston, no? Did you know he was Irish [ Richard Hingston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ] and some photographs from the that trip are here: R.W.G. Hingston (1887-1966) lantern slide relating to the Himalayas and Mount Everest

One of many:

MS10484-4_15_LO.jpg

its pretty poor but am about halfway into it now and hes actually starting to tell some interesting music-related stories.

If you can pick it up cheaply enough, scan through the bullshit without wasting too much time with it, and focus in on the parts about the music, it might be worthwhile.

I read it when it came out and I concur. It's useful for my Neil Young blog but if you're not writing a series of essays on Neil Young's study work it is inessential bordering on do not entry.

I'm going to finish it out. I'll report back. If he goes on about that fucking pono player again though its going in the bin.

Thanks.

I do love a good coincidence and this morning I got on the Wexford Bus to Gorey and a lad sitting diagonally in front of me was reading Shakey on his Kindle.

I thought that was a tremendous coincidence.

The Ice Shirt by William Vollmann. It's mostly set in iceland and greenland and is about the earliest (known) european visitors to north america around the year 1000. Its totally fantastic for a good chunk of it but towards the end there was a bit that I didn't like at all and it took me about a week and a half to read the last 60 pages. I'm not sure if it took so long because I didnt like that bit or if I didn't like it because reading progress slowed so drastically.

I wish I'd gotten this edition with the nice picture

46659.jpg

The Ice Shirt by William Vollmann. It's mostly set in iceland and greenland and is about the earliest (known) european visitors to north america around the year 1000. Its totally fantastic for a good chunk of it but towards the end there was a bit that I didn't like at all and it took me about a week and a half to read the last 60 pages. I'm not sure if it took so long because I didnt like that bit or if I didn't like it because reading progress slowed so drastically.

I wish I'd gotten this edition with the nice picture

46659.jpg
i have this in my to read pile but have passed over it pretty much every time I go to get a new book. he's good your man vollmann, but you really have to be in the right frame of mind to start one of his books. might give it a go if you say it's good though

i have this in my to read pile but have passed over it pretty much every time I go to get a new book. he's good your man vollmann, but you really have to be in the right frame of mind to start one of his books. might give it a go if you say it's good though
This one is pretty easy-going for the most part and only about 350 pages.

almost finished the second game of thrones yoke book. a bit weird how much the tv show has altered the story.

Authority, the second instalment of the Southern Reach trilogy. Not as weird, gripping or original as the first part. There’s a bit too much exposition in the first half but it picks up in the second half and there’s some terrifically creepy moments towards the end. It definitely feels like the middle piece of a larger story though. Having said that it’s whetted my appetite for the final instalment which is published in September.

220px-Authority_(Southern_Reach_Trilogy)_by_Jeff_VanderMeer.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back