What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (7 Viewers)

Just started Childhood's End. First Arthur C Clarke book I've read. Enjoying it so far.
51e4bj4EwxL.jpg

Started this. A fictional account of humans encounters with angels throughout history. It's big, strange and difficult.
getimage.aspx

Finally reading Underworld by Don DeLillo
Love it. He's some writer.

“Sometimes I see something so moving I know I’m not supposed to linger. See it and leave. If you stay too long, you wear out the wordless shock. Love it and trust it and leave.”

11761.jpg

Last edited:
coming to the end of 'wish you were here' by graham swift. i'm enjoying it, but the main character is still a bit of a cipher, even though the book spends most of the time in his head.
recently finished 'the forever war' by joe haldeman - excellent, albeit some cack handed handling of homosexuality in it.

Finally reading Underworld by Don DeLillo
Love it. He's some writer.

“Sometimes I see something so moving I know I’m not supposed to linger. See it and leave. If you stay too long, you wear out the wordless shock. Love it and trust it and leave.”

11761.jpg
Let me know when you get to "He Spread the mayo on the bread. Never on the meat"

I was completely addicted by that point.

Let me know when you get to "He Spread the mayo on the bread. Never on the meat"

I was completely addicted by that point.[/QUOTE

Reached that section this morning on the 40 to town. I laughed. It was a great chapter, as was the one preceeding it (the two having the affair). It is totally addictive now. Pretty sure I'll be re-reading it at some future point, cause the writing is so good. Liking how he's jumping around time-wise.

Reached that section this morning on the 40 to town. I laughed. It was a great chapter, as was the one preceeding it (the two having the affair). It is totally addictive now. Pretty sure I'll be re-reading it at some future point, cause the writing is so good. Liking how he's jumping around time-wise.
I think that one might be my favourite chapter, it just comes out of nowhere. It's amazingly well written. I might re-read it soon. My lady re-read it last year and said it was even better the second time. Mind you she also finished 2666 and then just flipped it over and started again which is fucking hardcore. The literary equivalent of finishing a marathon and then turning around and running back to the start.

I think that one might be my favourite chapter, it just comes out of nowhere. It's amazingly well written. I might re-read it soon. My lady re-read it last year and said it was even better the second time. Mind you she also finished 2666 and then just flipped it over and started again which is fucking hardcore. The literary equivalent of finishing a marathon and then turning around and running back to the start.

That is very impressive! I've been re-reading books since I was a kid, but don't think I ever went back-to-back. People I know still find it amazing that I bother doing this, given that "I know what happens". I've given up trying to explain.

That is very impressive! I've been re-reading books since I was a kid, but don't think I ever went back-to-back. People I know still find it amazing that I bother doing this, given that "I know what happens". I've given up trying to explain.
There's been a few times that once I've finished a novel I'll go back and read a few passages just to admire the writing. Geek Love by Katherine Dunne and everything I've read by J.G Ballard have left me in awe them. I'm yet to re-read anything completely. Although I did have to re-start Underworld twice because I had to put it down for a few months due to working 18 hour days for 3 months and travelling europe for 6 weeks, Both times when I went back to reading it I just couldn't figure out who was who and what the fuck was going on. When I finally got through it in one uninterrupted go I was addicted.

I never reread books. There are many that I'd like to reread but part of me worries that I'll wonder what I thought was so great the first time if I read it again. Also, there are too many other books I want to read and I just can't find the time to read them.

I never reread books. There are many that I'd like to reread but part of me worries that I'll wonder what I thought was so great the first time if I read it again. Also, there are too many other books I want to read and I just can't find the time to read them.

I can see where you're coming from, but if you trust a book enough, re-reading usually rewards greatly.
Apart from the pleasure of the writing, it can clear up plot confusion, bring to light cool early scenarios that were missed first time round, and also offer sheer comfort in the familiar. Almost to the same extent as movies and music.

There are so many potentially great books I'll never get to read, I try not to worry about it.

Yeah, I liked the first 3/4 best too. It really needed a good editing. Still lingering with me though and I finished it several weeks ago.

I'm re-reading The Secret History at the moment. Even though I knew I'd loved it previously, I had forgotten most of the detail. Its great 2nd time round. Maybe even better. Unusual that it never made it to the big screen. Seems like it would have been pretty straightforward to pull off. A young Philip Seymour Hoffman as Bunny.
'Hunger Games' Producers to Adapt Donna Tartt's 'The Goldfinch' (Exclusive) - TheWrap

hmm, i posted this here weeks ago. @Lili Marlene wasn't pleased.
i thought id like to see an adaptation of one of her books, primarily The Secret History. now that it looks like the wheels are in motion for The Goldfinch and it looks like something will happen in some form in the future, I'm not not sure if I like the idea anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back