What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (8 Viewers)

how was that?

I'm reading Naked Lunch and its a mindfuck

I'm still reading it! I'm not mad about it tbh; maybe it's my frame of mind at the minute, but it's not doing a whole lot for me.
I liked the Naked Lunch film, but don't think I'd attempt the book, or any others of his for that matter.

As is clear from his autobio the only person Morrissey knows and is interested in knowing is Morrissey so he's not wrong. Everyone else is just a beautiful rebellious man, an ugly authority figure or an ex bandmate. There are a few girls, they are mainly notable for wearing nice clothes.

oh and 'Irish' is an adjective that can be used to describe anything and everything.

I agree with Scutter that he comes out of it weirdly likeable due to his own comic ineptitude at existing.

I agree. He's also gloriously lacking in self-awareness, which makes for some humorous reading. His book might well provide an abstract lesson in how to live.
or perhaps not.

Naked lunch? Almost unreadable.
I don't find it unreadable per se. It more that its disgusting. I hadn't anticipated that it might be conventional book with a more naturally flowing story. Its a series of anecdotes or short-stories, but each and every one of them are about the most whacked out riding and sado-masochism (which I didn't expect). Its just fucking horrible. I'm about a third of the way through it and might carry on until I have something else to read, but its the most unpleasant thing I think I've ever read.

I don't find it unreadable per se. It more that its disgusting. I hadn't anticipated that it might be conventional book with a more naturally flowing story. Its a series of anecdotes or short-stories, but each and every one of them are about the most whacked out riding and sado-masochism (which I didn't expect). Its just fucking horrible. I'm about a third of the way through it and might carry on until I have something else to read, but its the most unpleasant thing I think I've ever read.

Given so many artists (of various types) rave about Burroughs, I keep trying to give him a go but so far, not doing anything for me. Just comes across as a sub-par Joyce (in terms of not following the traditional novel form) combined with a sub-par JG Ballard (in terms of the gross out stuff but Ballard does it with a bit of depth and, occasionally, class).

JG Ballard reviews WS Burroughs in 1966

I liked Naked Lunch in that it did what it was supposed to do and made me feel ill at times. Since reading it I've been drawn more and more to works like it, like Ballard, the painted bird etc.

I always thought Naked Lunch was more like a demented Catch 22.

Lads I'd bear with it until the end it's an experience. I loved the parts you're both at and wasn't mad about the ending so I'd like to know what you think.

JG Ballard reviews WS Burroughs in 1966

I liked Naked Lunch in that it did what it was supposed to do and made me feel ill at times. Since reading it I've been drawn more and more to works like it, like Ballard, the painted bird etc.

I always thought Naked Lunch was more like a demented Catch 22.

Lads I'd bear with it until the end it's an experience. I loved the parts you're both at and wasn't mad about the ending so I'd like to know what you think.
I hate not finishing a book once I've started so I probably will see it through. But I might need to take a break or 2 and go for something a little more light-hearted. Its not a very long book but I don't think I can manage it all in one go. I shall finish it though.

I tried reading it years back as a Nirvana fan (KC had went on about him) so maybe my youthful mind wasn't able for it, given your description (and it does bring some of it back) I don't believe I'll try it again.
Junkie is a good read as is Queer, I can't say I was impressed with anything else of his.

I tried reading it years back as a Nirvana fan (KC had went on about him) so maybe my youthful mind wasn't able for it, given your description (and it does bring some of it back) I don't believe I'll try it again.
Junkie is a good read as is Queer, I can't say I was impressed with anything else of his.
Yeah I heard Junkie is pretty "straight" n comparison to Naked Lunch. I'll be giving it a go after I get through my current purchases.

i'm about 1/4 of the way through postcards by annie proulx and i've just gone and read a spoiler of the whole plot because i wanted to find out what actually happened in the cryptic opening scene

Finished 'The Double' and now by the same author 'The Gambler'. Both very good but I thought 'The Gambler' the better of the two, the story being a little more light-hearted and the characters tending to have some redeeming features. Generally though, they're a detestable lot, each out for only themselves and happy to push others down to get what they want. The one decent individual across the two works is a cantankerous old lady who sadly only features briefly.
The hero of the first ends up driven insane by his doppleganger and its left open as to whether or not the double exists or is just a figment of the imagination. My biggest problem with this story was the confusion over names, the main character is referred variously to as 'Mr Goliadkin', 'Yakov' and 'Yakov Petrovich' while his doppleganger also takes these names so leading to some confusion. Additionally, on occasion the story takes the form of the main characters thoughts and here enters more confusion as he rambles on at length, having full blown conversations with various other characters and repeating their names many times in quick succession, its quite bamboozling at times so I was glad to start on the second which is much easier to follow.
Apparently 'The Gambler' is somewhat autobiographical yet strangely the gambling problem for the eponymous hero doesnt arise till the final two/three chapters. Previous to this gambling does feature but mainly as a diversion and being performed by others. Its another tale of 'high society' and all its faults and as mentioned previously features only one good character, probably the most well off of the group but simultaneously the only one who treats the servants as humans. The title characters leap from tutor/hanger-on to dedicated gambler comes about very suddenly but the abrupt transition is well handled and doesn't break the flow.

I'll stop typing now anyway, short version - The double: good, the gambler:better.

Russia uber alles.

Repetition by Peter Handke. I read somewhere that WG Sebald has credited this book as the origin of everything he wrote himself, and it's gotten a lot of loving attention on the internet recently so I read it but it's not great at all. A young Austrian lad goes on an uninteresting excursion to Slovenia where he does nothing at all of interest. It took me about 6 weeks to read this and it's only about 250 pages.

Body Electric by C.E. Smith. This won some sort of newbie writer award last year. It kinda falls somewhere between DeLillo and The Slap but nowhere near as good or bad. It's only a novella really, fairly forgettable. I'm suspicious of books about death that don't have much to say about life. I'm hoping it might be a book I can sell at some stage.

Personae: A Novel by Sergio De La Pava. I finished this a few minutes ago. A Naked Singularity was a very good read so I had high hopes for this one but alas it was all over the place. I have no idea what it was about. Starts off as a detective story with lots of little diversions, then there's the major diversion/distraction of a rubbish play that makes no sense taking up about 80 pages in the middle (the book is only 200 pages) and then there's a decent bit at the end for 60 pages or so.

Next - Soldier of the Mist by Gene Wolfe. Hopefully this'll be deadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back