What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (4 Viewers)

I've long been fascinated by Russia and after reading so many factual books on it thought I should try its literature. When googling Russian authors a portrait of Lermontov popped up and I thought he looked rather dashing so decided to start there. I'll try Chekhov next and work up to Dostoyevsky.

As an aside, after years of reading nothing but current affairs/history its quite nice to return to fiction.

i finished The Goldfinch yesterday, which i thought was brilliant until it veered off into the fairly unlikely amsterdam sequence before petering out in a way-too-long dose of pseudo-philosophical rambling

i hate when a great book has a crappish ending

i finished The Goldfinch yesterday, which i thought was brilliant until it veered off into the fairly unlikely amsterdam sequence before petering out in a way-too-long dose of pseudo-philosophical rambling

i hate when a great book has a crappish ending

Yeah, I liked the first 3/4 best too. It really needed a good editing. Still lingering with me though and I finished it several weeks ago.

I'm re-reading The Secret History at the moment. Even though I knew I'd loved it previously, I had forgotten most of the detail. Its great 2nd time round. Maybe even better. Unusual that it never made it to the big screen. Seems like it would have been pretty straightforward to pull off. A young Philip Seymour Hoffman as Bunny.

Seems like it would have been pretty straightforward to pull off. A young Philip Seymour Hoffman as Bunny.

yeah, that would have been perfect

after picking up and putting down the 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed....for the past two or three months i finally finished it earlier today. didn't like it at all. could have something to do with the fact im juggling too many books at once, which i never usually do. have dropped everything and am now going to focus on Doctor Sleep for next while. only just started, good opening chapter anyway

Actually, who is the actor that starred in the last King of Scotland as the doctor? He'd be good. I oddly pictured a mix of Willem Defoe, Tom Skerritt and John Hurt as the Jullian type.

what's the gist? i stopped reading after this sentence: "I didn't much mind Rowling when she was Pottering about."
the gist is, "J K Rowling should stop writing books for adults because she's not a good writer for adults but people keep buying her books AND IT'S NOT FAIR"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back