What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (8 Viewers)

Calvino: If on a winter's night a traveller
Just two or three chapters in. Not entirely sure if I getting to grips with the style.
It's written in the 2nd person singular - something I'm usually not so keen on. But I'll give it the hop of the ball for now

Yeah couldn't get into that Calvino.

Now re-reading the debut novel from this lady. First published 22 years ago.

1912128_10203437143116261_1622193881_n.jpg

I'm up to Cujo in my re-reading of Stephen King. It's from a period where King's drinking and drug use were starting to get out of hand, so he says he has little recollection of writing it. Apart from the Bachman books, it's his least supernatural novel but it's definitely his grimmest.

I'm up to Cujo in my re-reading of Stephen King. It's from a period where King's drinking and drug use were starting to get out of hand, so he says he has little recollection of writing it. Apart from the Bachman books, it's his least supernatural novel but it's definitely his grimmest.
that was back in the day when you could refer to King's books as, the one about the dog, or the one about the car, or the one about the clown. Those were good days.

I loved the Bachman books. Re-read them many time over the ages 16-20

Finished The Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

Pretty much everything that's been said about it is true. It's a head melting masterpiece.

Started The Savage detectives by Roberto Belano, it's great.

I agree on both counts. Though I tried to read Blood Meridian years and years ago and couldn't get into it at all. Picked it up 2 years ago again and totally devoured it. It's probably the one of his books I can see myself re-reading. Ditto for Savage Detectives and Bolano.

Under the Dome was good, not great but definitely worth a read. Cell felt like it was going somewhere great and then he shat out a shitty shit of a shitty ending. Haven't read any other recent ones.

red_spectres.jpg

Tore through this Saturday/Sunday, thoroughly enjoyable in spite of my not being a fan of gothica. Will have to try track down more works by some of the relevant authors although given that most of the stories appear in english for the first time herein it may prove difficult.

In keeping with my Russophilia I started the below this morning, only a chapter in but again, most enjoyable.
ahero.gif

Under the Dome was good, not great but definitely worth a read. Cell felt like it was going somewhere great and then he shat out a shitty shit of a shitty ending. Haven't read any other recent ones.

I read that recent collection of short stories called Full Dark, No Stars and it was pretty enjoyable. A guy in work gave me the Stand a while back and it took me so long to get through. The first 200 and last 200 pages were amazing. Everything in between was bit of a struggle

ahero.gif

Finished this an hour or so ago, a strange book, starts and finishes on adventurous notes yet much of the in-between is taken up with a Jane Austenesque story of high society and romance. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, just not what I had expected.

I've never heard of him, just wiki-ing him now, your summary makes sense for the time he was writing. What made you want to read his stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back