What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (14 Viewers)

Did I miss something but why is John Edward Williams all of a sudden really popular? Seems like every forum I go to is reading him and Hodges Figgis have two of his books in the top sellers chart inside the door.

The third policeman is a fantastic novel; like you, I didn't get into At Swim at all, despite a couple of efforts.

I actually prefer At Swim Two Birds!It was the first of his I read,and had not got a fucking breeze what was going on when I first read it,I remember it taking a couple more aborted attempts before I got my head around it,so glad I stuck with it though,its one of the greatest things Ive read

Just finished Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch. Brilliant. Particularly enjoyed the relationship between Theo and Boris. She writes teenage boys incredibly well. Only very slightly let down by the last 100 or so pages when it ventured into thriller territory. I would say this is on par with her first two books. I'd have a hard time picking a favourite.

Just finished it there myself. It was excellent, but God, it was long! The Theo/ Boris friendship was great alright, but I think I actually preferred the Theo/ Hobie one - there was something very calming about those sections. She's an incredible writer - the level of detail in there was amazing. No wonder it took so long to write (and read!)

From a distance the Goldfinch and the Luminaries look the same. Is this some kind of trick or trend or what?

495px-The_goldfinch_by_donna_tart.png

73.Eleanor%20Catton-The%20Luminaries.jpg

I'm thinking about reading that, but after the length of The Goldfinch, I'm easing myself back into things with this...(as recommended by yourself)

161426.jpg

I've given up worrying about book covers with petals and butterflies..

161426.jpg

I've given up worrying about book covers with petals and butterflies..[/quote]
Saw the movie of that, I didn't think it was all that great but recognised it had some really good ideas. Possibly it was just a fumbled adaptation; it gave me the impression the book was probably worth reading.

Just finished it there myself. It was excellent, but God, it was long! The Theo/ Boris friendship was great alright, but I think I actually preferred the Theo/ Hobie one - there was something very calming about those sections. She's an incredible writer - the level of detail in there was amazing. No wonder it took so long to write (and read!)
Not long enough, I reckon. I could have read about Theo and Boris in Las Vegas forever.

Also it wasn't long. I read it in a week. There's way tougher books a quarter of its length

Also it wasn't long. I read it in a week. There's way tougher books a quarter of its length

Wow! I'm a slowish reader -took me about 3 weeks. But I only get about 30-40 mins reading in a day.
I didn't consider it tough at all, just that it had a lot of detail, and it was written so well that I didn't skim like I might be inclined to do with other books.

What would you consider a long book, besides like, War and Peace or something?
I love getting stuck into a novel too, but I also like being able to carry paperbooks around in my pocket, which I can't do with books this size...

Saw the movie of that, I didn't think it was all that great but recognised it had some really good ideas. Possibly it was just a fumbled adaptation; it gave me the impression the book was probably worth reading.

Yeah the movie is fairly diabolical. It has a good.... opening scene. Saoirse Ronan is great all the way through it though.

I'm thinking about reading that, but after the length of The Goldfinch, I'm easing myself back into things with this...(as recommended by yourself)

here, did you ever read the actual one I recommended by her, What I Was?

Finally finished The Secret History a week or two ago and, sorry to disappoint @Jill Hives, but I did think it was really good. Things were touch and go when I came across a tweet by Peaches Geldof gushing about looking forward to the new book but I soldiered on.

Anyway I only bring it up cos there's a BBC4 BookClub interview with Donna Tartt on it here:

BBC - Podcasts and Downloads - Bookclub

I finally finished this the other day, it was pretty good in spots, particularly in the middle, and that kinda soppy ending always gets me but overall it was fairly pedestrian.

Not a very exciting read to be fair; I was getting a bit bored by the end myself, but it was ok. Not sure it deserves its restored Classic status tbh, but that's over-excited critics for you!

Willy Vlautin is launching his new book in some place on Crows Lane tomorrow evening. I fucking love Willy Vlautin.

Im a 3rd of the way through the shining at the minute. So far it is a big meh fest. Stephen King might be a load of shite.

Willy Vlautin is launching his new book in some place on Crows Lane tomorrow evening. I fucking love Willy Vlautin.

Im a 3rd of the way through the shining at the minute. So far it is a big meh fest. Stephen King might be a load of shite.

I re-read it a few years ago, after thinking it was the greatest thing ever as a teenager. Garbage.

yeah, I liked it fine. Could have been worse. Could have been better.

Calvino: If on a winter's night a traveller

Just two or three chapters in. Not entirely sure if I getting to grips with the style.
It's written in the 2nd person singular - something I'm usually not so keen on.
But I'll give it the hop of the ball for now

if-on-a-winters-night-e1298587099306.jpg%3Fw%3D640

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back