What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (7 Viewers)

Read Alan McGee's book last week in a day. Frequently hilarious (sometimes unintentionally, i.e. when he says Hurricane #1 and Heavy Stereo were good), inspiring and a very easy read.

I hardly know one of the main bands in it: House of Love. Are they any use?

I'm on a bit of a modern classics buzz-
Almost finished Stoner by John Williams; very enjoyable read - didn't think it'd sustain my interest as very little happens, but it did and it's so well written.
Recently re-read The Old Man and The Sea, which I thoroughly enjoyed. So spare and precise, brilliant writing.
Want to check out more Hemingway, have been advised to go for the short stories next.
I like The Sun Also Rises. Hemmingway's alter ego gets pissed in Paris and has women troubles.

I like The Sun Also Rises. Hemmingway's alter ego gets pissed in Paris and has women troubles.

Thats a great book.

@travispickle - I also loved A Moveable Feast - his memories of life as an unknown writer in Paris in the 20s. Hanging out, drinking with Joyce, Scott & Zelda Fitzgerald, Ezra Pound, Gertrude Stein etc. Its gas

a-moveable-feast.jpg

Read Alan McGee's book last week in a day. Frequently hilarious (sometimes unintentionally, i.e. when he says Hurricane #1 and Heavy Stereo were good), inspiring and a very easy read.

I hardly know one of the main bands in it: House of Love. Are they any use?

Thats on my list. I love the Creation story. The book by David Cavanagh was great too.

I used to love House of Love back in the days of their first two albums (1988 and 1990), both called House of love. They were indie darlings back then and featured a lot in NME and Melody Maker at the time. In terms of sound, they were close enough to Ride who came along later, but more reserved. I was just getting into all that kind of stuff so have fond memories. Lost interest in them over the years.

Christine -from the debut

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The Beatles and the Stones - from the 2nd
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thats on my list. I love the Creation story. The book by David Cavanagh was great too.

]

If you're anywhere near East Wall, or whatever, you're welcome to borrow it off me. McGee certainly doesn't need the money. You'll devour it in a day or two.

Two bits that interested me were: not much on Loveless. I actually think the stress of making of that record really damaged McGee and his partners psychologically.
And he loses it towards the end, talking about meeting Paris fucking Hilton and saying how cool Courtney Love is. And about ley lines and Alesteir Crowley. He's still able to laugh at himself, but he's the classic case of someone who was far more interesting and exciting whilst on drugs and booze.

Fucking great read, though.

If you're anywhere near East Wall, or whatever, you're welcome to borrow it off me. McGee certainly doesn't need the money. You'll devour it in a day or two.

Two bits that interested me were: not much on Loveless. I actually think the stress of making of that record really damaged McGee and his partners psychologically.
And he loses it towards the end, talking about meeting Paris fucking Hilton and saying how cool Courtney Love is. And about ley lines and Alesteir Crowley. He's still able to laugh at himself, but he's the classic case of someone who was far more interesting and exciting whilst on drugs and booze.

Fucking great read, though.

Thanks for the offer CB, but I just got it for my birthday. Its next on my list and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm about 1/2 way through The Goldfinch and am pretty enthralled

Hemingway's Men Without Women, short story collection ( while still digging for copies of his other books recommended above).
Great writing; so spare and economical.

Read Pale Fire by Nabokov there recently, an altogether astoundingly amazing book altogether. The premise and the way it's constructed are simply marvellous. Um, short of superlatives here. Anyway, :heart::heart::heart:Nabokov:heart::heart::heart:
Nabokov is flipping great! Have you read "Mary"? Also "Cloud Castle Lake" - excellent short stories. He's got such an odd way with words, his sentences can be almost nonsensical but still incredibly fluid.
As for Flann O'Brien; I love Third Policeman but couldn't get into At Swim Two Birds atall. I don't think Third Policeman is completely without rules though. I always did get some sense there was order to it, though a slightly demented order. I think the "joke" revolves around inevitability, the inescapability of circular thought and the madness of existence generally. It's always on the cusp of being really frightening, for me anyway. That bit where MacCruiskeen endlessly reveals boxes-within-boxes made me scared the first time I read it, but I laughed the next couple of times. And the whole thing of the danger of exchanging your particles with a bicycle - I as good as found that to be a sound theory because I can't think of an argument against it, knowing nothing about physics and really having no other proof that the world exists other than "I'm pretty sure it exists". The whole de Selby thing I didn't like atall the first time round, but after subsequent readings I began to find them funnier and funnier. Also, I can't get enough of the wonky Irish-isms and non-sequitors. I can definitely see how you wouldn't like it, but I say give it another go in a year or two, it might surprise you. But sure what do I know, I might not even exist.

That bit where MacCruiskeen endlessly reveals boxes-within-boxes made me scared the first time I read it, but I laughed the next couple of times. And the whole thing of the danger of exchanging your particles with a bicycle

I saw a play version of The Third Policeman before I read the book so I kind of had some bit of an idea what to expect. The bits you mentioned in the quotes there, while I can see where you're coming from, I found absolutely hilarious.

Its my favorite book ever I think. And yes, I'm due a re-read any time now. Cheers for the reminder!

Nabokov is flipping great! Have you read "Mary"? Also "Cloud Castle Lake" - excellent short stories. He's got such an odd way with words, his sentences can be almost nonsensical but still incredibly fluid.
As for Flann O'Brien; I love Third Policeman but couldn't get into At Swim Two Birds atall. I don't think Third Policeman is completely without rules though. I always did get some sense there was order to it, though a slightly demented order. I think the "joke" revolves around inevitability, the inescapability of circular thought and the madness of existence generally. It's always on the cusp of being really frightening, for me anyway. That bit where MacCruiskeen endlessly reveals boxes-within-boxes made me scared the first time I read it, but I laughed the next couple of times. And the whole thing of the danger of exchanging your particles with a bicycle - I as good as found that to be a sound theory because I can't think of an argument against it, knowing nothing about physics and really having no other proof that the world exists other than "I'm pretty sure it exists". The whole de Selby thing I didn't like atall the first time round, but after subsequent readings I began to find them funnier and funnier. Also, I can't get enough of the wonky Irish-isms and non-sequitors. I can definitely see how you wouldn't like it, but I say give it another go in a year or two, it might surprise you. But sure what do I know, I might not even exist.
The third policeman is a fantastic novel; like you, I didn't get into At Swim at all, despite a couple of efforts. I've never read any Nabakov, always imagined he'd be too daunting or I wouldn't be smart enough to understand what he was getting at; likewise Camus, Bellow, Mailer etc, all the greats!!...I'd probably be ok to read them now though.

Nabokov is great. He's actually really really funny a lot of the time. Especially Pale Fire. Just finished Bend Sinister though which is pretty grim. I think I read Lolita once when I was a teenager (probably because I thought there were dirty bits). Will give that a go again soon.

Almost finished Stoner by John Williams; very enjoyable read - didn't think it'd sustain my interest as very little happens, but it did and it's so well written.
I'm not finding stoner terribly engrossing so far. He's just proposed to that sourpuss for no good reason, I presume she'll say yes.
It's not exactly a page turner, and it's hard to say what kept me reading, but stick with it. It is good.

I finally finished this the other day, it was pretty good in spots, particularly in the middle, and that kinda soppy ending always gets me but overall it was fairly pedestrian.

I'm on Repetition by Peter Handke now

W.G. Sebald said:
In Repetition, Handke allows the peculiar light which illuminates the space under a leafy canopy or a tent canvas to glisten between words, placed here with astounding caution and precision; in doing so, he succeeds in making the text into a sort of refuge amid the arid lands which, even in the culture industry, grow larger day by day.

I've only read about 40 pages so far, I can't tell if the translation was cabbaged or if it's supposed to be like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back