What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (4 Viewers)

Recently finished Secret History and loved it. I'll put this one on my list now.

Yeah The Secret History is great and due a re-read. I never got around to reading The Little Friend cause I was swayed by a couple of bad reviews. But I have since seen loads of great reviews, so I must pick it up.

I've got out of the habit of long books though, as I like to read while out and about.

I've got out of the habit of long books though, as I like to read while out and about.

I listen to them while walking so I never have to worry about the weight. 22 hours goes by quickly. I find my eyes hurt after looking at books and computer screens all day. I like to either walk, clean or sit back with my eyes closed and listen. It wouldn't be everyone's cuppa but I enjoy books that way. It's like story time as a kid.

The Kindly Ones. The fictional memoirs of an SS Officer who is a Zelig-like presence at The Eastern Front, Auschwitz, The Battle of Berlin and the assassination attempt on Hitler. Written in French by a young Jewish - American author this was highly controversial on its release due to the narrator's active participation in the Holocaust. It's incredibly well researched but it's extremely long (900 pages) and is pretty upsetting in parts.
thekindlyones.jpg

Is anyone excited about this? I am.
Amazon product ASIN 1408704943

big time. purposely not starting another book once i finish city of bohane by kevin barry this week so i can tear into the goldfinch next tuesday on a clean reading slate. secret history one of my faves. little friend is excellent too. just not as good.

interview with donna tartt on bbc4 tonight at 10. hopefully won't be talking directly about the story too much. have been avoiding reviews. gave up reading them years ago seeing as though the clowns doing them can't help but give at least half of the major parts of a plot away when all they're required to do is let us know if its good or not

anyway, roll on tuesday

The Guardian have managed to get two articles about it. In one of them Morrissey is talking about how he becomes an athlete by accident (because that happens) and the other he's talking about how he has no interest in girls as a teenager, despite getting off with a load of them.
What a dick.

I really need to read it.

Just flew through The Rotter's Club by Jonathan Coe.

It's an engrossing historical novel that takes in England in the 1970s. Some of the prose is horrid, though the characters really drew me in. Questionable structure, but better than a straight narrative.

Now back, to Proust...

Speaking of which:

The only thing, @ I is John, is that they are short stories, which don't appeal to a lot of people - myself included usually, strangely enough. But I love these.

Pretty Monsters seems to be the only one currently available in Dublin's bookshops. They both contain the stories "Magic for Beginners" and "The Faery Handbag" though, which are both ace.

Some reviewers have deemed the stories creepy/ almost horror/ fantasy, but I think they are charming, funny and slightly off-beat. Neil Gaiman said "she should be declared a national treasure", if that means anything to anyone. I'd love to see what some of you might think of them actually...

I finally got this (Pretty Monsters) a few months ago Jim. I've only read a few of the stories but I like it so far. Just thought I'd let you know, I wish I had more to say right now.

Next up it's THE SPANISH INQUISITION by Cecil Roth

654908.jpg

This was very interesting. It was first published in either 1937 or 1945 and the author draws interesting parallels here and there between aspects of the Spanish inquisition and contemporary events in Europe. Very easy to read too, although I didn't bother reading the appendices.

Who Are You? by Anna Kavan. I think I've had enough of this lady's nasty, miserable little books now. I still wouldn't mind reading Ice but I dunno...

W or the Memory of a Childhood by Georges Perec. It was alright, I wouldn't particularly recommend it. It's two unrelated stories told in alternating chapters, one is an autobiographical account of the author's childhood and the other is not and changes direction completely a bit of the way in. An author's note at the start says the point of the novel rests on this dramatic change in direction as well as the things that both stories don't say but are present in the over lap. For most of the book I kept thinking "he's explained the point of all this but I just don't get it" but then towards the end I did (I think).
8478210.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back