What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (4 Viewers)

edward_lucas-the_new_cold_war.jpg

51hSHSGduyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The two latest books I read,both are similar enough to each other,still very interesting though.Describe in detail how Russia uses its energy supplies as a weapon when dealing with its customers and how they hope to expand that customer base beyond Europe/the former soviet republics.Also chapters on how they screw any western oil companies that operate in Russia (although it is hard to feel sorry for shell,bp etc) and how Putin has cemented his position amongst other subjects.Both are worth a look if you've any interest in Russia/current affairs.

9780300085075.jpg

Started this one last night,always wanted to see why the Serbs are so demonised by many people and if they're deserving of their reputation.Still getting though their early history so can't really form an opinion yet.Good reading so far though.

9780300085075.jpg

Started this one last night,always wanted to see why the Serbs are so demonised by many people and if they're deserving of their reputation.Still getting though their early history so can't really form an opinion yet.Good reading so far though.

Let us know how it turns out.
I can't stand the cunts, mostly because of my Croat friends though.

The whole balkan region is nuts though.

No argument there.

Shit, I think my mates are Bosnian.
(checks Facebook)
Yup. Balls.

Morto. Better than saying it in front of them though, I suppose.

I think they had some trouble with the Serbs that lived in Bosnia.

edward_lucas-the_new_cold_war.jpg

51hSHSGduyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The two latest books I read,both are similar enough to each other,still very interesting though.Describe in detail how Russia uses its energy supplies as a weapon when dealing with its customers and how they hope to expand that customer base beyond Europe/the former soviet republics.Also chapters on how they screw any western oil companies that operate in Russia (although it is hard to feel sorry for shell,bp etc) and how Putin has cemented his position amongst other subjects.Both are worth a look if you've any interest in Russia/current affairs.

9780300085075.jpg

holy crap Theo, you ain't exactly up for some light reading these times by the looks of things

No argument there.

Shit, I think my mates are Bosnian.
(checks Facebook)
Yup. Balls.

Morto. Better than saying it in front of them though, I suppose.

I think they had some trouble with the Serbs that lived in Bosnia.

They're all much the same I'm sure.(Don't tell them I said that though)

holy crap Theo, you ain't exactly up for some light reading these times by the looks of things

It's true,I've just about given up on fictional works.I should probably go study modern history or something,make use of the reading.

I think I've got more reading done in the Christmas period than ever before.

Rabbit is Rich by John Updike - This might be the best of the Rabbit novels. They're all flawed though they all have something to offer. He really punches out the interior and you can almost taste it. Once again questionable portrayal of women, yet it is more how Rabbit views women, I suppose, and Updike does not make anything easy morally.
Godbless You Mr. Rosewater - Kurt Vonnegut. Quite decent, mid-60s effort from Vonnegut. It comes together quite nicely. Timequake was the first of his I read and it remains my favourite. Mixing fiction and memoir suits him well. Once again, not sure if I'll be bothered to read anything else by him.
The Death of the Hind Legs & other Stories - John Wain. Hit and miss stories effort from mid-twentieth century UK midlands type. Digestible fiction for a rainy Tuesday.
The Talk of the Town - Ardal O'Hanlon. Started off alright, got tiresome quite soon. Sub-Pat McCabe - and perhaps that's being too generous. Stick to Dougal.
Dreams of a Dancing Robot Bee - James Tate. Some crackers here from America's most accessible modern prose-poet. Doesn't quite have the enigmatic quality of Tate's poems.
At Swim-Two-Birds - Flann O'Brien. Ticklish, cleverdick fiction that hit the right spot.
Dangling Man - Saul Bellow. Bellow's first novel - lacks the bilious, neurotic style of his later, more wilder fiction. Set during WWII Chicago, in the Camusian tradition of the absurd and the banal. Realist, existentialist themes nicely realized.

Just started back into The Metaphysical Club by Louis Menand. On the Louis Agazzi chapter.

I'm currently reading this:

Flowers+photo+version.jpg

I recommend it. Best poetry I think I've ever read. He's very down on ye olde Catholic church, probably why he doesn't get a sniff at our educational curriculum. Quality stuff though. Before I bought the book I started reading it here: http://fleursdumal.org/ - they have multiple translations for each of the poems - great site.

Also just finished Pigeon English and thought it was quite lovely. Didn't blow me away or anything, but thoroughly enjoy/rate it.

Yeah, really liked it too. It does indeed have many "quite lovely" moments, some nasty, some heartbreaking and some genuinely tense. I liked the quite lovely ones the best. Geting a girlfriend by ticking the right box! Sweet.

Have just started The Sisters Brothers, and am loving its Coen Brothers vibes.

images

Have to say, I'm enjoying this immensely!

And on Pigeon English - I just read the acknowledgements at the back, and he thanks Mark Linkous (Sparklehorse) for "the inspirational music". Nice!

Yeah, really liked it too. It does indeed have many "quite lovely" moments, some nasty, some heartbreaking and some genuinely tense. I liked the quite lovely ones the best. Geting a girlfriend by ticking the right box! Sweet.

Have just started The Sisters Brothers, and am loving its Coen Brothers vibes.

images

I have a backlog of books that were chosen by my bookclub that I've been getting through. I just gave up going because no one ever read the books and it was just a reason for them to get together and talk about their babies. Just finished The Help and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I've been walking around my house talking with the accent of a southern house maid. Started Freedom yesterday but have been distracted by Downton Abbey. Another thing I thought I would hate but can't stop watching. My taste is all over the place recently.

i finished "lean on pete" by willy vlautin today. a story about a teenager who after him and his father move to portland, he get's a job working at the horse track Portland Meadows (as described in the book "it's pro but barely just"). He then set out to find his aunt, Margy with one of his trainers horses, Lean on Pete. (this is described on the cover)

It's about the need to belong, the need for someone to be there for you. Overall, a tale of deprivation. Enjoy would not be the word as at times it does get depressing but overall a very good book.

excellent. excellent excellent excellent. so many brilliant ideas. the only Dick book i'd attempted before was The Man In The High Castle and i didn't like it much but this is fantastic. the idea of the animals as status sounds silly when you haven't read the book but is such a brilliant idea

do-androids-dream-of-electric-sheep.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back