What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (2 Viewers)

I'm glad you liked it, its one of my favourite novels Jim Daniels; Also just finished Pigeon English and thought it was quite lovely. Didn't blow me away or anything, but thoroughly enjoy/rate it.

For me though, I was given this as a late Christmas present, so its up next. I've never read anything with an epileptic character (saving a few peripherals and Rushdies) so I'm pretty excited:

10666352.jpg

Professor-Moriarty-Newman-Kim-9780857682833.jpg

Not as good as the Anno Dracula series but its an enjoyable light hearted read. Plus I'm a Holmes fanboy (and its funny how the Great Detective is threated in this too). Much like Newman's other novels there's plenty of namedropping and appearances from other Victorian fiction.

The Consolations of Philosophy by Alain de Botton.

23419.jpg

Bland little life lessons from primary school padded out with the work of other philosophers and tiresome little bits of personal information. I read this as a break from Wittgenstein's Philosophical Investigations which I don't think I understand at all and is taking me ages to get through.

Alain de Botton.

I read that book he wrote about love just so's I'd have something to talk to a bird I fancied about.

I wanted to hunt him down and kill him after it. Not that the book was bad. It actually wasn't that bad. He was the main protagonist though, and came across as a complete arse-hole. Which is probably quite a skill in itself (unless its true that is).

Anyway, it didn't make me want to go and read any more of his books (nor will I unless I want to chat to another burd about one of them)

I'm reading Uncle Toms Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

heavy going in parts - the colloquialism parts - but great in other parts. It'll take me a while to get through it as my batteries tend to run out after 10 minutes reading these times.

this is wonderful. So utterly engrossing.

But 19th century women are equally as flowery as modern day ones. I could do without the 3-page description a bouquet of flowers. The story is great though. Heartbreaking. I nearly cried at one part.

Just finished this and enjoyed it.
Then again, I love the 'now what do I do with my life' theme in one's early 20s.
I feel like I am still stuck there despite being in my late 30s.

1317074601948.jpg

I'd say it's very American for lack of a better way to describe the appeal.

yes, it struck me as a story that one would enjoy immensely were one able to relate it to their own experiences. So, if one were to have gone to college in America and been involved in a love triangle involving crazy people, then one would, no doubt, enjoy it thoroughly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back