What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (7 Viewers)

View attachment 7392

I really enjoyed this. Does anybody have any other DeLillo recommendations?

I read that during the summer. Some of it was really intrigueing (particularly the "creation" of David Ferrie) and some of it really rankled me (probably any parts involving Oswald's mother).

Recommendations wise:
End Zone is the most consistent, followed by Americana. White Noise loses momentum by the end, as does Mao II. There is some very interesting stuff in both though. I remember giving up on Cosmopolitan after ten pages.

Currently reading Dangling Man by Saul Bellow, as an American counterpart to existentialism for an exam module; although I should be reading Rabbit is Rich by John Updike as I have an extended essay proposal due in a month on at least two of the Rabbit Novels.

Cloud Atlas was one of the worst books I've ever read

Ha! All of it? There was some decent stuff in there. Admittedly, there was a lot of the Emperor's New Clothes in its waredrobe.

The stuff written in an obsolete vernacular can be maddening

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I really want to read the great perhaps. Let me know if its any good.

Just finished it jonah ;
Wasn't sure at first, another sad bunch of characters from another slightly psychotic American family, but I ended up really liking it. Develops nicely, well written - particularly the teenagers, and some nice surreal touches.

Great Gatsby next...

Sounds like my cup of tea, alas! Oh Gatsby. I love Gatsby so so much. Surely its not your first read?

My best friend bought me this for my birthday this year.. Hipster I know, but its my favourite.

URL]

Thats very amusing, but cool indeed.

I read it in college, but that was almost 20 years ago (Jesus!!). Also bought a couple of Ernest Hemingway last week, as I haven't read him since college either. It was a couple of hilarious scenes in Midnight in Paris that made me do it. I won't be able to read him now, without laughing at that voice...

Small spoiler for those that haven't seen it

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sounds like my cup of tea, alas! Oh Gatsby. I love Gatsby so so much. Surely its not your first read?

My best friend bought me this for my birthday this year.. Hipster I know, but its my favourite.

URL]

Ghostwritten is one of my top 10 favourite push-comes-to-shove books. As is Number 9 Dream and elements of Cloud Atlas
Love the Jazz Music Store story

http://thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?29231-david-mitchell

ok so I really liked that book in the end. It definitely wavered at times and became a little tedious and hard to follow the train of thought. But it ended on a hell of a bang and leaves you wanting to read more. I'll check out more of his stuff in due course.

Am actually thinking of giving that new Stephen King book a go. It must be 15 years since I read anything by him

Its worth re-reading after a few months - you'll pick up on some little details that you may have missed first time round, and also, just because he writes so well. I really like the story set on the Irish Island - thought he did a great job on getting it right.

Number 9 Dream is great too, but also leads you down some cul-de-sacs. Black Swan Green is much more straightforward - narrated by a school kid with a stammer. Really liked it though.

ok so I really liked that book in the end. It definitely wavered at times and became a little tedious and hard to follow the train of thought. But it ended on a hell of a bang and leaves you wanting to read more. I'll check out more of his stuff in due course.

Am actually thinking of giving that new Stephen King book a go. It must be 15 years since I read anything by him

Yeah, thought that might be the case. I wish he'd just write a relatively straight novel. My favourites of his were always the less daft ones - things like The Body, Shawshank, Roadwork, Rage, etc.

I was talking about Jacob de Zoet there, Scutter got in the way. The last stephen king one I read was Insomnia I think, I always enjoyed his books when I read them, dont think i've read any of those ones you mentioned though

I was talking about Jacob de Zoet there, Scutter got in the way. The last stephen king one I read was Insomnia I think, I always enjoyed his books when I read them, dont think i've read any of those ones you mentioned though

Ah right!

I think some of the Stephen King ones I mentioned were all written under his *bachman" name. They were novellas rather than full novels. The Body was made into the film Stand by Me and was in the same collection as Shawshank Redemption (Different Seasons I think). Might dig them out again. Like Scutter, I haven't read anything he's written in about 15 years.

Rage, The Long Walk, Roadwork and The Running Man are usually grouped together in "The Bachman Books". All four are great! Or, at least, thats how I felt about 18 years ago!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0451191935/?tag=thumpedcom-20

Same here. Its getting nice reviews. He writes about the past/ nostalgia very well.

yes, agreed. Like most people of my generation it was Stand By Me that got me into him. I had a mild obsession with his books through my teens and into my early 20s. I actually bought the serialised copies of the Green Mile as they were being released (7 in total I think). Its a regret that I didn't hang onto them as I reckon they'd be worth a few bob.

Different Seasons was my favourite book for years and I used to read and reread it. Apt Pupil was a great story but I didn't think much on the film. No one ever bothered picking up the Breathing Method for some reason. I'd be nearly afraid to reread it now in case my old and cynical eyes didn't concur with the romantic youthful notions I have of it.

As for this latest one, it seems more of the same. I read a good chunk of it yesterday. Very easy going. Typical Stephen King in many ways (it'll be a film, no doubt about it). Its a simple idea but he does it well. And, it may be the first time that hes wholly based a book around an actual historical event. Thats mostly what stirred my curiousity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back