What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (1 Viewer)

I came away with a bag load of books today from the charidee shop - awfully chuffed with my finds. Got a few history books really cheap which are easily worth 30 quid each new, as well as picking up a few curious oddities. However I just surveyed my bookshelf and from today I now have over 30 books sitting there, piled up, that I haven't read yet. Fugg sake. Summer time shall be good though.

I'm starting this tonight

spendulumtz0.png

Should be real good.

Umberto Eco is brilliant.

I've tossed aside my momentary hatred of books to read this

a-confederacy-of-dunces-by-john-kennedy-toole.jpg

last book i read was nell mccafferty's book about the kerry babies ('a woman to blame' )....well, actually, i'm halfway through 'the mccafferty reader' which is much better, but the last book i finished was a woman to blame.

i didn't know the details of the case so it was useful to learn the ins and outs but 'a woman to blame' was pretty badly written. it has all the intimate details of a colour story but never put any life into it....not that it's a competition for sensationalism but for example sophia mccolgan put her story across in an unequivocal way, which scraped open the sore of incestuous abuse. nell's book fizzled out with this feeling that some kind of unpleasant pregnancy had happened, it was an unfortunate event and life went on. there was no watershed about unmarried pregnancy in rural ireland, at least not further to anything related to general sympathy for joanne hayes.

A Labour History of Ireland, 1824-1960 by Emmet O'Connor

Interesting enough but I found it very hard to keep up with all the different factions and groups particularly when a string of letters is used instead of the full names

Stopped reading Eco and have begun the task of digging into Critique of Dialectical Reason by Sartre which I got for real cheap yesterday. I'll pick Eco up again later, CDR is pretty....interesting at the moment - although i can probably see myself giving up on it half-way through.

Anyone here read it before? I'm wondering whether it's worth the effort, it's quite daunting.

A Labour History of Ireland, 1824-1960 by Emmet O'Connor

Interesting enough but I found it very hard to keep up with all the different factions and groups particularly when a string of letters is used instead of the full names

I've been wanting to get that book for years but have never gotten around to it. I might order it while the whimsical novelty of my new debit card is still with me.

If you've any further interest in that area of history you should definitely track down Conor Kostick's book "Revolution in Ireland: Popular Militancy 1917 to 1923". It's an utterly fascinating account of working class power & organisation of that time period which goes a long way in curtailing the perception of a total nationalist hegemony - and also how the militancy that was built up (peaking at an almost revolutionary high) was tragically diverted into a dead end by a lethargic trade union leadership. A lot of it is probably in O' Connors book no doubt, but Kostick's one is a really great read IMO.

Stopped reading Eco and have begun the task of digging into Critique of Dialectical Reason by Sartre which I got for real cheap yesterday. I'll pick Eco up again later, CDR is pretty....interesting at the moment - although i can probably see myself giving up on it half-way through.

Anyone here read it before? I'm wondering whether it's worth the effort, it's quite daunting.

I haven't read it but what Sartre have you read before? CDR is one of his later works and seems a bit of a mad one to start with. I just did a thesis involving him so I've read a lot of his stuff recently, but I was more concerned with his 30's and 40's works.

Edit: actually, do read it and tell me what he says in it so I don't have to. The man has too much written work.

I've been wanting to get that book for years but have never gotten around to it. I might order it while the whimsical novelty of my new debit card is still with me.

If you've any further interest in that area of history you should definitely track down Conor Kostick's book "Revolution in Ireland: Popular Militancy 1917 to 1923". It's an utterly fascinating account of working class power & organisation of that time period which goes a long way in curtailing the perception of a total nationalist hegemony - and also how the militancy that was built up (peaking at an almost revolutionary high) was tragically diverted into a dead end by a lethargic trade union leadership. A lot of it is probably in O' Connors book no doubt, but Kostick's one is a really great read IMO.

He does cover that period alright, one of the more exciting chapters in the book given then general chaos that seemed to reign at the time. I might check out the Kostick book, I would like to read a bit more on the subject. I'm very bad on history, I find it hard to remember.

Currently reading Language, Truth & Logic by A.J. Ayer, I'll hopefully finish it today. His basic point is that metaphysics is nonsense which seems fairly spot on to me. I have a biography of Ayer near the top of my to-read list too. Next up is The Early Church by Henry Chadwick, City of God by St. Augustine (this looks a bit daunting), The Spanish Inquisition by Cecil Roth, probably another Anna Kavan novel somewhere too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back