What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (4 Viewers)

He really does come across as an arrogant condescending dick. And I read The Pregnant Widow a while ago and can confirm that he really does not have much cause to be arrogant and condescending anymore.

Amis's outbursts and, more pointedly, their dopey coverage in the UK papers have been a joke for years. I wouldn't worry too much.
None of it negates children's literature. None of it negates that he is/was a genius (I haven't read much of the recent stuff) imho. A genius and an arrogant condescending dick.

I found this comment particularly bizarre though:
"I would never write about someone that forced me to write at a lower register than what I can write."

Maybe I'm misunderstanding him, but isn't that an essential part of being a novelist? Negative capability and all that...
I know he certainly does it (though probably not enough for his critics) in the books of his I've read. e.g. John Self in Money, Keith Talent (and his clichéd darts-speak) in London Fields.

Edit: "Forced" is probably the operative word

I also think though that his attitude isn't entirely singular and is part of an entire thinking on children's literature

actually it's part of a unthinking on children's literature. There's so much in this world that if you can write off an entire genre/idea/kula shaker with a good Oscar Wilde quip then you've significantly reduced your workload in becoming a 'cultured' person.

I, for example, am now tempted to write off Martin Amis as a misguided, arrogant fool who is not worth my time. But really it's even better to put the time and effort in reading something and then declaring it void of interest.

There's so much in this world that if you can write off an entire genre/idea/kula shaker with a good Oscar Wilde quip then you've significantly reduced your workload in becoming a 'cultured' person.

See also: George Orwell

I, for example, am now tempted to write off Martin Amis as a misguided, arrogant fool who is not worth my time. But really it's even better to put the time and effort in reading something and then declaring it void of interest.

Sure this is it.

None of it negates that he is/was a genius (I haven't read much of the recent stuff) imho. A genius and an arrogant condescending dick.

I have to admit I just don't really get Martin Amis. I enjoyed Money, London Fields, Rachel Papers, but never really understood what elevates his stuff to the level of great literature. Maybe there is a lot of stuff going on that just goes over my head. I finished The Pregnant Widow just feeling vaguely annoyed though. I couldn't see any point to it at all.

Last couple of days, two translations:

218c30b5-1918-431f-a90f-c7bf493b4cc0.jpg

the-devil-in-the-flesh.jpeg

A novel about a precocious teenager who has an affair with a married woman, written by a precocious teenager who had an affair with a married woman. About as unobnoxious as you could reasonably expect it to be. Quite good. The second one there is much smoother, the Pushkin Press translation veers towards unreadability at times.

why read both? is it for studies? or are you genuinely that interested?

I'd been meaning to read it for a while. Found the Pushkin edition in my local library, read it, didn't particularly enjoy it, couple of days later I found the other one in the secondhand section of Chapters. Thought I'd give it another go. Ah, sure I'll read anything. Twice if necessary.

Reading both of these tonight, and I would rather listen to the sound of alcohol ferment.

lispector-hour-star.gif

0816618291.01._SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

n197497.jpg

humm, it was a bit teenage fiction thriller by the numbers until the last third of the book when it became quite unrelenting in its, well, despair I suppose. Makes a few interesting points about the things we take for granted about our own physical bodies. I can't tell if it was a bit light or actually just sparse and to the point. Also the writing style bears no relation to the other book I read by him so that's something...I should ask Martin Amis

what are your books about @jonah ?

n197497.jpg

humm, it was a bit teenage fiction thriller by the numbers until the last third of the book when it became quite unrelenting in its, well, despair I suppose. Makes a few interesting points about the things we take for granted about our own physical bodies. I can't tell if it was a bit light or actually just sparse and to the point. Also the writing style bears no relation to the other book I read by him so that's something...I should ask Martin Amis

what are your books about @jonah ?

That'll be the brain damage.

Rather amazingly I haven't read it.

and it's killing me.

cheers college.

I heart Kristin Hersh so very much.

I have to admit I just don't really get Martin Amis. I enjoyed Money, London Fields, Rachel Papers, but never really understood what elevates his stuff to the level of great literature. Maybe there is a lot of stuff going on that just goes over my head. I finished The Pregnant Widow just feeling vaguely annoyed though. I couldn't see any point to it at all.

Some of it has the air of an overly verbose school kid trying to be clever. (The type of writing where there is always a blurb on the back that says "the writing fizzes off the page"). The straightforward comedy books like Money and Success work best for me. I found London Fields a bit of a chore compared to those.

Of his more conceptual stuff I found Time's Arrow the best. It's all in reverse. There is a bit in it where he is describing the doctor is performing an abortion and it's a stunning piece of writing. He describes the doctor stopping the women crying by putting pieces of tissue back into them.

[FONT=&quot]I've just about finished my second Willy Vlautin novel in two weeks, and feel like I've been hit by a truck. Lots of lonely, helpless characters drinking themselves to death.

So, @scutter , before I tackle Kristin's, I need something a bit lighter and am looking "The Earth Hums in B Flat" by Mari Strachan. @I is John , have you read it? It seems like something you might?
[/FONT]

I have not, do let us know what it's like.

i'm reading this right now

51DIOASRk3L.jpg

which is amazing. AMAZING.

And a reminder as to why I study this stuff.

and continuing on the Hartnett trend i'm about halfway through

n252870.jpg

@Jill Hives you'd like the misery of this one, just been through a pretty harsh but strangely beautiful* breakup/break apart scene

*beautiful in the same way a lion tearing out the lungs of an antelope is beautiful

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back