What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (10 Viewers)

Rabbit-Run.jpg

Good stuff. It took me a while to get into it and it wasn't really until the tragic event towards the end that the whole thing really started taking off for me. Looking forward to reading the others though.

n349929.jpg

Read about half of this last night. Clearly in the "good" category of recent Roth novels.

Rabbit-Run.jpg

Good stuff. It took me a while to get into it and it wasn't really until the tragic event towards the end that the whole thing really started taking off for me. Looking forward to reading the others though.

n349929.jpg

Read about half of this last night. Clearly in the "good" category of recent Roth novels.

Yeah I've only ever read Rabbit, Run. I should really get some of the latter books.

scutter, yeah, I know what you mean. I'm almost finished Sunset Park, and am feeling slightly let down. As much as I like him, I think Auster often has "good ideas and great potential" but frequently fails to go anywhere with them. Upon completition, my sister used to hurl his books accross the room with crushing disappointment - always saying she's had it with him this time.... but she always took him back.

Like Richie, I am also starting "An Evening of Long Goodbyes" by Paul Murray and really looking forward to it. It was nice the way he thanked Rachels for inspiring the title.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm almost finished this.

Couldn't engage with it at all. I'm disappointed overall and am a little baffled by some of the things I read in various reviews, etc. Its a bit of a nothing book. Some good ideas, great potential, but ultimately a book I ended up skimming over for the most part.

I really like his early stuff (ha!, that old line) especially Moon Palace, Music of Chance and Timbuktu (which is narrated by a dog). They began to blend into each other after that.

Don't know if you ever saw the film Smoke, starring Harvey Keitel? Paul Auster wrote it and its great.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I really like his early stuff (ha!, that old line) especially Moon Palace, Music of Chance and Timbuktu (which is narrated by a dog). They began to blend into each other after that.

There's a movie of Music Of Chance as well .. with yer man the creepy guy that was in Sex, Lies and Videotape

There's a movie of Music Of Chance as well .. with yer man the creepy guy that was in Sex, Lies and Videotape

Really? Never knew that. Must check it out, cheers!

Music of Chance was also the name of a band, that a character from David Mitchell's novel Ghostwritten, played in. They named the "collective" after "a novel by that New York writer dude" The cosmic ballet goes on...

Speaking of creepy, I'm reading Neil Labute's (of Your Friends and Neighbours & In the Company of Men fame) debut collection of short stories called Seconds of Pleasure. Not everyone's cuppa that's for sure. It's so wrong and uncomfortable but I can't help laughing and enjoying it thus far. I like when writers don't hid from how despicable humans can think and be to each other and the dialogue is spot on terms of realism. Only a few stories in but thus far, thumbs up.

The Scientician, definitely Timbuktu. Its short, its funny and sad, its about and by a dog. Its everything a book should be.

anyhows, I started this last night

Club2-314x480.jpg

I'm a gah head but I normally don't like (and hence don't read) gah books (I've read a couple of decent ones but mostly they're rubbish). I'm reading this for a couple of reasons. Firstly, hes one of my favourite sports journalists. Secondly, I know people who play in that club. Thirdly, I've heard non-gah people raving about this book (bizarrely, including Jim Carroll in the Ticket a couple of weeks back). 3 chapters in and its decent enough so far. Possibly not for everyone though.

Going to read some Nicholas Royle, I've got him for a class on Deconstruction and Creative Writing and thought I'd see what his fiction is like. Anyone read any?

9781852424763-741463.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back