What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (2 Viewers)

Eliot never felt as dark or exciting for me as Hardy. I've read 'Silas Marner' and prefered that to 'Middlemarch' but wouldn't call myself a fan overall. Daniel Deronda's probably the best, albeit problematic.

i hated silas marner. after i finished my leaving cert english exam i went home and kicked my copy of it to flitters.

I thought it was much better than Middlemarch, but I don't dig Eliot that much in general, so I wouldn't give it a rave review either way. Can't imagine having to do that for leaving cert though.

Struggling to get through the last bit of this because I'm so damn bored by it. Yawn.

lethem.jpg

I tried to read Fortress of Solitude but found it hard-going, that is to say BORING, as well.

Maybe he's just a boring writer?

Anyway I read Whistle Down the Wind yesterday and now i'm gonna watch the film again tonight, not boring!

I think he might be. I'm keep telling myself it will get better but at chapter 28.... not so much. I won't be picking up another one of his...on to better things.

Is that the one about The Lack? If so, I agree. Gave it up half way through.

However, I really liked Fortress of Solitude and that other one about the guy in Brooklyn with Tourette's ..... Motherless Brooklyn

Well I didn't read much of Fortress of Solitude so my word isn't worth much here. I spend most of my time reading books for children anyway, I can't handle any word with more than 2 syllables

recently finished 'the wild life' by some chap called stempel jones about him living off the land for a year. a good, easy read. so then i started 'gravity's rainbow' and gave up on it after about 40 pages because i'm not in the mood for slogging through a book right now.

Is that the one about The Lack? If so, I agree. Gave it up half way through.

However, I really liked Fortress of Solitude and that other one about the guy in Brooklyn with Tourette's ..... Motherless Brooklyn

Yep, the one about The Lack. Just so utterly boring but I feel like I got this far so I should finish the damn thing. The premise sounded interesting, sadly, I misjudged.

Meg's is pretty good, but rather strangely, reads like a young adult's novel. Brooding teenager/ unrequited love/ unrequited life/ unsympathetic parents/ one interesting affectionate friend. She writes very nicely though and throws in some oddities (personified passages from Fate him/herself). Will probably give her other ones a go.

well Jim Daniels, while i've obviously become pretty enamoured with her work recently and I already gave out to you about that post, i'm half way through that book and you massively undersold it and totally mixed the medium up with the message.

or, like a normal person you just wrote whatever was in your head in the ten seconds it took to compose that post and I shouldn't be getting defensive over the internet FFS.

but still, shame on you!

I thought it was much better than Middlemarch, but I don't dig Eliot that much in general, so I wouldn't give it a rave review either way. Can't imagine having to do that for leaving cert though.

I did Silas Marner for the Leaving Cert too. Hard to disassociate it from that in my mind, even though I didn't hate it as almost everyone else did.

Hey MDR, if a fella was going to start reading Thomas Hardy, where would you recommend he start? I'm going to do that, and was going to begin with Jude the Obscure.

Read Jude the Obscure and work backwards from there (if you don't commit suicide that is) . The only way is up!

Ha! Thats deserves at least a 12 second reply! I actually really liked it, and didn't realise my comments were so negative, but I still stand by my previous comments. I read it shortly after "Perks of Being a Wallflower", which has similar characters and was maybe still lingering. But I am glad you introduced me to Meg, and I'm still looking forward to the first book you mentioned. Will probably re-read my one too. Those titles are all getting mixed up.

well Jim Daniels, while i've obviously become pretty enamoured with her work recently and I already gave out to you about that post, i'm half way through that book and you massively undersold it and totally mixed the medium up with the message.

or, like a normal person you just wrote whatever was in your head in the ten seconds it took to compose that post and I shouldn't be getting defensive over the internet FFS.

but still, shame on you!

Just finishing up Lorrie Moore's "Gate at the Stairs" which, as Time traveller's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger says, is full of perfect sentences. Not a lot happens, but when it does, it's interesting and beautifully told.

I Is John - feel free to read it and leave me mildy crestfallen by some slightly negative comments!

images

I read a book called The Soloist last week..was decent...featured a courtroom a musician and a murderous schizophrenic Zen wannabe.......

MemoirsofaMadman.jpg

16 year old Gustave Flaubert on the futility of love, the futility of language, the futility of thought itself.
The most emo thing ever written.
Joking aside, it's quite good on its own terms, insanely precocious in parts and its flaws are covered over by 'hey, you do remember these are the memoirs of a MADMAN?' trickery. Clever sod.

Read Jude the Obscure and work backwards from there (if you don't commit suicide that is) . The only way is up!

Replying now:
I was briefly in a shop and they didn't have Jude the Obscure so I picked up The Trumpet-Major, as they did have that. So that's where I'll start, against the undoubtedly valuable instructions above. Thanks, IIJ.

I actually really liked it, and didn't realise my comments were so negative, but I still stand by my previous comments. I read it shortly after "Perks of Being a Wallflower", which has similar characters and was maybe still lingering. But I am glad you introduced me to Meg, and I'm still looking forward to the first book you mentioned. Will probably re-read my one too. Those titles are all getting mixed up.

oh man

Justin Case said:
We had sex. I told her I loved her. It was a disaster.

LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back