What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (1 Viewer)

You need:

392105631_cdb0bf79b5.jpg

I came *this* close to buying a copy from upstairs in Chapters a couple of months ago. (not really)

If you read FW out loud in David Norris's voice it makes perfect sense, apparently.

You need:

392105631_cdb0bf79b5.jpg

I came *this* close to buying a copy from upstairs in Chapters a couple of months ago. (not really)

If you read FW out loud in David Norris's voice it makes perfect sense, apparently.

God, are you that prick on the amazon reviews?

i finished it at the start of June.

it took over 5 months to read
very tough, minimal understanding

sure you just started again, right? maybe this time

God, are you that prick on the amazon reviews?

hahaha

This is my favourite Amazon review (of Ulysses):

some cunt said:
My goodness, I honestly pity those unfortunately pretentious people that claim this is a good, let alone great, piece of literature.

The reality is, Joyce wrote this book knowing that the psudo-intellectuals would read into it in the fear of being regarded as less intellectual than their piers.

Let me set the record straight, I have an official Mensa IQ of 169, and i studied this book at university. Do you know what I thought?

This book is useless. It's nonesense... and it's meant to be. The joke is on you people that actually buy into the lie and hype of this work. It is nothing but random clip bits of a meaningless bunch of boring characters.

Those who haven't read it: you gain more from not doing so, because reading this book will do nothing but depress you!

The comments are great too.

It's at times like this that I wish I knew what my 100% Official Authorised Mensa IQ was.

i've always thought that mensa was possibly a useful tool for MI5 or the CIA - a big database of all the people who think they are smart, and information about which fields they excel in. when world war three kicks off mensa members will be high on eastasia and eurasias lists of people to erase.

I read the Savage Detectives over the weekend when on holidays. Very good read. Very different narrative style from the norm, and it could be hard enough to follow at times. Plus all the namedropping of the Mexican literary figures may have meant more to some people than it did to me, cos I hadn't a clue who any of them were (bar Octavio Paz, and I'd only heard of him because Six Organs of Admittance named an album after him).

Next, finally, 'Rough Ride'. Never got around to reading it, which hasn't done anything to help my confidence in cycling circles.

I read the Savage Detectives over the weekend when on holidays. Very good read. Very different narrative style from the norm, and it could be hard enough to follow at times. Plus all the namedropping of the Mexican literary figures may have meant more to some people than it did to me, cos I hadn't a clue who any of them were (bar Octavio Paz, and I'd only heard of him because Six Organs of Admittance named an album after him).

it's on my book shelf waiting to be read, probably will start when i finish "island beneath the sea" by isabel allende

sure you just started again, right? maybe this time

no, i started at end of december and finished at start of june. i have completed it
it was my first time reading it after it spend 15 months on my to be read shelf taunting me.

how_i_live_now.jpg

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

New York teenager goes to spend the summer with her cousins in the UK in an effort to cheer her up/cure her of eating disorder. Falls in love with cousin. Lots of underage incestual sex follows.

Just as you think this is going to be a book addressing Important Emotional Teenage Issues a big bloody world war breaks out, England is occupied and suddenly the more pertinent problems are actually having food to eat and not being murdered.

she also has a brilliant way of writing where Every Second Word is Capitalized.

To summarise, here are two sentences a couple of chapters apart:

So there we are carrying on our happy little life of under-age sex, child labour and espionage when someone came to visit us which, after weeks of Just Us Five kind of took us by surprise, to put it mildly.
and

And then in an almost lazy kind of way the checkpoint guy who'd been looking at him raised his gun and pulled the trigger and there was a loud crack and part of Joe's face exploded and there was blood everywhere and he fell over out of the truck into the road

I'm reading Middlemarch by George Eliot. Being a Hardy fan Eliot is a natural next move for me. It's supposed to be one of the greatest novels of all time I'm about 500 pages into it and while it's an impressive book it has none of Hardy's feeling. The narrator never really leaves your shoulder to let you get into the characters - I preferred Felix holt - the radical.

Eliot never felt as dark or exciting for me as Hardy. I've read 'Silas Marner' and prefered that to 'Middlemarch' but wouldn't call myself a fan overall. Daniel Deronda's probably the best, albeit problematic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back