What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (6 Viewers)

Finished The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood a few days ago. Big monster of a book, very good.
Liked it too, keep meaning to check out some more of her books but never get around to it.

Reading The Sibyl in Her Grave by Sarah Caudwell, it has a bit of a Miss Marple feel but with a dead witch, good so far.

aye, that's an enjoyable read... i remember reading it when it first came out and thinking it would have made a great film. then when i saw the film, i nearly got sick into my own scorn. don't let that stinking heap of celluloid muck put anyone off reading the book

when i think of The Beach now leonardo di caprio's annoying face hovers in my minds eye but i enjoyed it well enough when i read it (before the film came out). The Tesseract by alex garland was also quite good. i always try to avoid seeing a film if its based on a book i hope to read as when i read the book i cant help but picture the actors in the story.

so far i have these lined up for my forthcoming holidays

The Day Lasts More Than A Hundred Years by Chingiz Aitmatov
The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow

when i think of The Beach now leonardo di caprio's annoying face hovers in my minds eye but i enjoyed it well enough when i read it (before the film came out). The Tesseract by alex garland was also quite good. i always try to avoid seeing a film if its based on a book i hope to read as when i read the book i cant help but picture the actors in the story.

so far i have these lined up for my forthcoming holidays

The Day Lasts More Than A Hundred Years by Chingiz Aitmatov
The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow

I think of his slow motion, action man running.

178081.jpg

When I started reading it the whole Swine Flu thing started, now that i've finished it's all ending.

I feel like Brian Wilson

The first half of the film version of The Beach is pretty good. It then goes off the rails a bit, before the completely ridiculous video game stuff, and massive cop-out of the ending.

I intensely dislike Houlebecq as well but just assumed I wasn't smart enough to "get it".

The first half of the film version of The Beach is pretty good. It then goes off the rails a bit, before the completely ridiculous video game stuff, and massive cop-out of the ending.

I intensely dislike Houlebecq as well but just assumed I wasn't smart enough to "get it".

I only watched the first half of the beach a couple of years ago, but it did slightly of poision reading the book. Kept picturing Leonardo, which isn't good. I think they should have cast an Engrish actor and character for the role.

regarding "atomised"...

...it's one of those things i thought i was relatively alone in disliking. hugely over-rated and contrived. also contains some rather glaring factual errors regarding some of the topics cited in it.

Oh lots of people dislike MH...that's why he's 'controversial'. As for glaring factual errors...it is a work of fiction, no?

Nobody ever regrets picking up THe Grapes of Wrath, it's completely amazing.

I'm reading A Mercy by Toni Morrison. I'm finding my mind wandering a bit as I read it.

picked "the death of grass" up yesterday and tore into it last night,pretty scary stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Grass

ooh that looks good. Coincidentally enough, it mentions John Wyndham in the wiki page. I just went and wiki'd the book Chocky, which I remembered from when I was a kid, and discovered it was written by Wyndham. Happy coincidence.

Did anyone else read Chocky? Scared the shite out of me as a nipper.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocky

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back