What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (4 Viewers)

Have you read Heart of Darkness? I thought it was very good. Apparently it's quite different to anything else he wrote. Must read some more of his stuff.

Yes, that's excellent alright. I wouldn't say it's all that different to much of what he writes. I'm currently re-reading the Secret Agent. Astonishingly relevant still

the great gatsby was on my english course in college but i didnt like it at all (or the english course either...)

i started at swim two birds twice but never finished it. i will have another go as i loved the poor mouth and the third policeman

I reread the Great Gatsby a few months, hated it the first time but loved it the second.
beautifully descriptive book, cant recommend it highly enough, made me wish i still smoked though :(.

i started at swim two birds twice but never finished it. i will have another go as i loved the poor mouth and the third policeman

That's the exact same as me. Scary. What type of bicycle do you own? I've also read a bit of the Dalkey Archive, which is good, but I never finished it for some reason. Some of Myles Na gCopaleen worth a read, although a knowledge of Latin would help.

At Swim Two Birds is actually better if you dip in and out of it instead of reading the whole thing through cover to cover, I found.. The 'plot' is so ridiculous and hard to follow that it sort of gets in the way of just enjoying the language and humour.

I finished Amongst Women by John McGahern last night. A keenly observed portrait of the type of domestic tyrant that seems to populate Irish households. Petty passive agression and domination by guilt. A very powerful book - dark but very deep.

I am now reading Fatherhood by Bill Cosby, which is an absolute riot.

Have you read Heart of Darkness? I thought it was very good. Apparently it's quite different to anything else he wrote. Must read some more of his stuff.

I didn't particularly enjoy Heart of Darkness.
The most instantly satisfying Conrad book I've read is The Secret Agent.
Nostromo is pretty meaty and satisfying.

I also prefered the Secret Agent to Heart of Darkness, although I enjoyed both very much.

I enjoyed At Swim Two Birds much more when I gave up trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

I'm currently reading The Wind in the Willows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back