What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (3 Viewers)

rogue_leaders.jpg

I'd prefer to have a proper book than this coffee-table thing but it's still pretty good. It really reflects how they've lost it since Grim Fandango, just churning out Star Wars games

Netherland-Joseph O'Neill. Enjoyable. Great structure, well-realised characters (hilariously deluded narrator reminded me of him from The Great Gatsby) and some memorable sentences.

Just finished this. I agree about the writing and characters but I can't say I enjoyed it as much. The story seemed to go nowhere, it seemed to lack a bit of tension or suspense, and there was too much nonesense about cricket.

I'm reading 2 books in one go for the first time in ages. I really don't like dividing my attention like that, but anyway.

I got jane's mate's book on saturday. I started reading a few pages. Now I'm about quarter ways through. Its shaping up really well. I've really enjoyed it so far in anyways.

Its 'John the Revelator' by Peter Murphy.

It's a kind of Michael Pollen by numbers. Interesting book. I'm not sure there is a huge amount in it that you wouldn't know already, and I'm not bowled over by all of the recipies but a good book regardless.

His cookbooks How To Cook Everything and How To Cook Everything Vegetarian are very well regarded and he is a regular contributor on The Splendid Table.

Just finished "a bit on the side", short stories by William Trevor. Very like the Claire Keegan stories I read previously - longing, atmospheric regret, bit of Irishness. Lovely, but a bit heavy reading those two books back to back.

Next is Lance Cole - Saab 99 and 900: the complete story.

I so want to read this, hurry up and come out in small size paperback dammit!
quote]

Its out now. Really enjoying it. Wish I had a bit of Spanish though. Somebody in there almost said "Yo La Tengo" at one point, which was nice..:)

I bought that at the weekend. Its next on my list to read.

they're doing a 3 for 2 in Waterstones at the minute and that book is part of it.

In the pile to get going on:

106-1.jpg

peterKropotkinAnarchism.jpg

121766591-0-l.jpg

41wn%2B0%2B708L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

And also this: Revolutionary Underground-The Story of The Irish Republican Brotherhood 1858-1924 by Leon O Broin which doesn't seem to exist online bar a single copy on Amazon for over $300.

excessive how exactly? we've all done this

fairly excessive actually. It's the worst tintin book though.

The very last Tintin book ends with Tintin about to be turned into a living piece of art and he's trying to find a way out of it. But then Hergé died and it was never finished.

So he's still there right now, what a way to end your career

finally finished Mother London by Michael Moorcock, very good so it is.

almost finished The Night Listener by Armistead Maupin which is ok i suppose but a lower class of book altogether.

i finished reluctant fundamentalist recently and i thought it was very good. narrative style was excellent.

in the rotation in it's place, i started "no one writes to the colonel" by gabriel garcia marquez. garcia marquez is an obsession of mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back