What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (13 Viewers)

Not a book but I read The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button last night.
I read a book a few years ago called The Confessions of Max Tivoli by a guy called Andrew Sean Greer, and it has to be based on the Fitzgerald story - although it says on his (sooo reliable) wiki page "The story of a man aging backwards, it was inspired by the Bob Dylan song My Back Pages. Though similar in theme, it is related neither to the Fitzgerald short story nor the film "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button." "
Very very similar though.

got this yesterday
0374191484.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I finished Among The Dead Cities by A.C. Greyling last night - an interesting book about the morality of allied area bombing of germany and japan in the second world war and what should be taken from that experience in fighting future wars.

moving on today to another book by greyling - Wittgenstein. I suspect may never phinish another philosophy book without the motivation of an exam or looming essay deadline.

edit: phinish?

I am reading Dreams From My Father by a certain Barak Obama. Lots of honesty and reflection, but I probably wouldn’t find it so compelling if he ended up as just a state senator in Illinois. Worth a read no matter your opinions about him are.

if it helps at all the last third of that book is by far the best part of it so if you find yourself losing interest, keep it going until then at least. You'll sail through that last third.

I'm currently on this;

n889501.jpg

this is boring shite. Avoid at all costs.

I'm still gonna finish it though cos its not that long and something good might happen. Unlikely, but you never know

moving on today to another book by greyling - Wittgenstein. I suspect may never phinish another philosophy book without the motivation of an exam or looming essay deadline.

edit: phinish?

i did manage to finish this, it was interesting enough but i have only a vague idea of what it was about. then i read "on humanism" by Richard Norman which was an awful load of auld shite. moved on to Falling Man by Don Delillo today which im enjoying so far.

51Cg48CCkJL._SL500_.jpg

had initially thought this would be just about Krakauer's failed attempt at the Eiger Nordwand - and was pleasantly surprised to find it packed with different chapters dedicated to the many forms of climbing and the experts and advocates of those disciplines. i'm afeared i'm running out of things to read by this author, which is a shame, because he's an incredible writer.

I always start off really liking Kundera's books and then the fade for me in general :( Did like the Book of Laughter & Forgetting though!

Currently on Netherland - Joseph O'Neill. Nice, but can't really see what everyone was wetting themselves about. Haven't finished it yet though.

I always start off really liking Kundera's books and then the fade for me in general :( Did like the Book of Laughter & Forgetting though!

Currently on Netherland - Joseph O'Neill. Nice, but can't really see what everyone was wetting themselves about. Haven't finished it yet though.

I think the way it works is that you tend to like your first Kundera book. I loved the Unbearable Lightness but hated Laughter and Forgetting. I read them in that order.

I've heard others say they read them the other way around and liked Laughter and Forgetting better.

Or maybe its just me (and the one or two others I talked to about it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back