What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (9 Viewers)

Just finished:

200px-Never_Let_Me_Go.jpg

excellent. Alex Garland has just finished an adapted screenplay apparently. I'm sceptical

Read that a couple of years back. Wasn't that taken by it. It was a very interesting concept for sure but I just didn't think it that great. Probably just me. Also, I had seen that awful movie with Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johannson around the same time (can't remember the name - the story is kind of along the same lines).

Currently reading:
%7BE6E26DC6-536F-45D8-B2D4-DA8FE7C46DD9%7DImg100.jpg

To be followed by my third run-in with this:
(First time lost interest, second time lost book on a plane, by the way.)
Herzog_Saul-Bellow,images_big,19,978-0-141-18487-6.jpg

That said, when I was buying this new copy the guy in the bookstore gave me all sorts of real-life rep points.

To be followed by my third run-in with this:
(First time lost interest, second time lost book on a plane, by the way.)
Herzog_Saul-Bellow,images_big,19,978-0-141-18487-6.jpg

That said, when I was buying this new copy the guy in the bookstore gave me all sorts of real-life rep points.

if it helps at all the last third of that book is by far the best part of it so if you find yourself losing interest, keep it going until then at least. You'll sail through that last third.

I'm currently on this;

n889501.jpg

I'm reading Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. Nearly finished it. Unremittingly grim and often melodramatic, but a good read and something I'd meant to grab hold of for donkeys years.

Read that a couple of years back. Wasn't that taken by it. It was a very interesting concept for sure but I just didn't think it that great. Probably just me. Also, I had seen that awful movie with Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johannson around the same time (can't remember the name - the story is kind of along the same lines).

The Island or something, was it? Yeah I remember hearing that was complete garbage. I dunno, it's a kind of gloomy book I suppose but I felt it had to be. I liked the protaganist despite her lack of humour and thought the story unfolded nicely.

i finished "the water cure" by percivel everitt. it was quite good. it was the confusing style of everitt as usual but i don't think it was as good as glyph or erasure. those were superb. any other person read percivel everitt here?

I'm currently reading this and enjoying it a whole lot:

BOOKS_Wetter.jpg

I'm also reading Revolutionary Road as my fiction book..Like it so far but not very far into it yet..

oh and i got the bret hart book for christmas!

I'm also reading Revolutionary Road as my fiction book..

Thats my favourite novel ever! Or one of them. Richard Yates would probably be my favourite American novelist anyhow. If it takes a cunting film by that cunt Sam Mendes with that cunt DiCaprio (I actually started banging my head off the table in the staff canteen back in April or whenever it was, when I read about the film on the back of some Guardian supplement. For a good five minutes) in it to get people to read this devastatingly good novelist then so be it. Just so long as I never have to see it. Sam Rockwell would have been perfect for that character as well. Its all lost in that obvious clown Mendes' hands no matter...

Anyway, I'm currently reading City of Glass by Paul Auster ...which is entertaining enough. Can't help feeling hes like a Don DeLillo that doesn't make you work for it. That young Peter Stillman character annoys the shit of me.
During Christmas I read The Wapshot Chronicle by that crazy wonderful writer John Cheever. Leander Wapshot is now one of my all-time favourite characters. Wes Anderson must have read this book.
And The Tenants of Moonbloom by Edward Lewis Wallant, yet another mid-20th century American novel. Never heard of this author before - could have done without the occasional references to Dante's Inferno, but he writes quite beautifully; nails the whole urban alienation thing. Strangely worked quite well as both a story of a man trying to free himself hopelessly from an existenialist mire, and a giddy, ridiculous sprawling comedy set amongst the doomed, neverchanging tenements.

Thats my favourite novel ever! Or one of them. Richard Yates would probably be my favourite American novelist anyhow. If it takes a cunting film by that cunt Sam Mendes with that cunt DiCaprio (I actually started banging my head off the table in the staff canteen back in April or whenever it was, when I read about the film on the back of some Guardian supplement. For a good five minutes) in it to get people to read this devastatingly good novelist then so be it. Just so long as I never have to see it. Sam Rockwell would have been perfect for that character as well. Its all lost in that obvious clown Mendes' hands no matter...

+1

I love pretty much everything Yates has done, Young Hearts Crying is also very notable, and his short fiction is incredibly good. I'm not going to watch the film, in case it ruins the book for me in any small way, as right now, in my eyes, it's pretty much perfect.

sigh / grrr / sigh

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back