What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (4 Viewers)

hemingway is like soooooooooooooo boooooooooooooring. his writing is way to florid for my taste

What have you read by Hemingway? I think he's absolutely brilliant (with the exception of Across The River And Into The Trees). I would have thought his writing was the opposite of 'florid'. He pioneered the curt, brief style which has become common in American literature (i.e. Bukowski, Proux, etc.)

I can't understand your comment at all. Chick-lit it ain't.

well i can't understand your retort. in fairness, i'm mainly basing this on for whom the bell tolls and the old man and the sea. i found them tedious

My retort? Touché.

I haven't read either of those two yet but I'll let you know what I think when I have. I suggest trying either The Snows of Kilemanjaro or Fiesta. I thought they were brilliant. Each to his own though. I still don't know what you mean by 'florid'. Do you mean flowery, overly descriptive, too many adjectives? If that's the case I'd be very surprised.

Regards.

600 pages of thou art and wither wouldst. even the title is overblown. i guess i could give him another shot. the snows of kilemangaro you reckon?

That sounds like work alright.. Snows of Kilemanjaro is a set of short stories which have characters in common. I thought it was really good. Made me want to visit Africa, and go fishing in Michigan and survive World War II. All things which I've yet to do..

Cheers.

right, well i'm going to give hemingway another shot. i'll let you know what i think. in the meantime i'd suggest you check out denis johnson. for my money he's the greatest living american novelist

Started this:

51S42XP2CEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

(I never understood the American fettishising of De Toqueville. It's like the literary equivalent of Munster beating the All Blacks; yeah great but time to move on!)

In the middle of this:

dead_cities.jpg

He's new to me to be honest but I'm enjoying it - he's certainly perceptive.

This lad is next:

24885959.JPG

can anyone recommend a good thriller/detective book
thanks

Dean R. Koontz can be good for the thriller stuff, although a lot of his books are awful shite. I havent read one for years actually. Dark Rivers Of The Heart was a good one - all chases and stuff. Face Of Fear was good too, and Strangers.

I finished The Shadow Of The Torturer by Gene Wolfe last night, i liked it. Straight on to next volume today - The Claw Of The Conciliator.

I read Twilight yesterday to see what all the fuss is about..I enjoyed it because it was nonsense and I didn't really have to pay too much attention to it..

I started Homicide by David Simon this morning..so far so good..

just finished sacks' musicophilia. excellent book, but not the one i was expecting. more about brain injuries and effect on music, rather than explaining the attraction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back