What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (8 Viewers)

It's 'Kuh-ruh-MAH-zuf' according to the Ruskie I know. Emphasis on yr. MAH there.

Currently reading 'Death & The Penguin' by Alexander Kurkov. It's stylistically reminiscent of Doestoyevsky...haven't figured out the significance of the penguin forty pages in.

on the subject of Doestoyevsky, I'm giving Coetzee another try as promised and making my way through The Master of Petersburg. Very good so far

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was a surprisingly good read. Its written from the point of view of a child, so its very easy to read. It a nice, powerful story. I think I'll go see the film now.

it was ment to be a kids book right? would it be very upsetting for a 6 yr old?

i wanted to go back and read some of his stuff again and recently started into Notes From The Underground but gave it up after about 10 pages - awful stuff. i believe its one of his earlier works so maybe he improved...

You should have kept going I really like that one. The second half of it is written in a completely different style and is actually pretty funny in places (well I think so anyway)

26078898.JPG

Lads, yis have to read these Malazan bukes. It's incredible stuff!!!1 Currently on buke two:

deadhouse.jpg

Great characters and plot. I haven't read anything this good in a long, long time.

I inherited the whole series from my uncle about 6 months ago. (he's made into his books) I still have to start on them though, i've already got a gazillion books I want to read before getting entrenched into a whole series...

Anywho, I started reading The Trumpet of Conscience by Martin Luther King last night and am almost finished... it's really good. I can't imagine how great it must have sounded spoken. I found it in my grandparents old house in a dusty wardrobe. It has that authentic 30 year old wardrobe smell.

im struggling through Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. he attempts to explain why it came to be that some people came to dominate others i.e. europeans wiped out americans, are more technologically advanced than africa etc. ive only read about 150 pages and am not sure whether i should continue. i get the general dea and am convinced already

Black Swan Green by David Mitchell

Very enjoyable this was, a bit like a just william book, except it lost it a bit towards the end, got a bit too soppy

Hmm. Gonna leave this one 'til last. Loved 'Cloud Atlas', now on 'Ghostwritten' and 'have 'Number9dream' on the shelf.
Great writer.

i read number9dream years ago, it was deadly but totally different from Black Swan Green. I'll probably wait a good while before reading another of his, seems like a good idea.

im on Everyman by Philip Roth now

I really enjoyed 'Everyman' too. Bleak but compelling. Roth has plenty of detractors on Thumped for reasons I don't understand.
He's had such a run of great novels since 'American Pastoral'...although 'Sabath's Theatre' is probably my favourite of his.

I really enjoyed 'Everyman' too. Bleak but compelling. Roth has plenty of detractors on Thumped for reasons I don't understand.
He's had such a run of great novels since 'American Pastoral'...although 'Sabath's Theatre' is probably my favourite of his.

i have made disparaging remarks about roth myself on here. i had given up on him until i read the plot against america a couple of weeks ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back