What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (5 Viewers)

After a couple of months of reading fairly light and breezy holiday-type books, I got bored and decided to get back in to fiction and something a bit longer, so i started the Brothers Karamazov* by Dostoyevsky last night. I've read the Double and Crime and Punishment so I'm expecting great things.

*anyone know how this is pronounced? I've been pronouncing it "Car-a-mats-off"

Also is it Anna "Karra-nina" or "Kar-rennin-a"

blindness.jpg

he really hates blind people

i started the Brothers Karamazov* by Dostoyevsky last night. I've read the Double and Crime and Punishment so I'm expecting great things.

*anyone know how this is pronounced? I've been pronouncing it "Car-a-mats-off"
i had to read the death of ivan illych in college for my philosophy course - cant remember a thing about it except that the learned doctor doing the lecturing referred regularly to the brothers carra-mat-zoff. i'd go with his version - he was pretty well spoken. i wanted to go back and read some of his stuff again and recently started into Notes From The Underground but gave it up after about 10 pages - awful stuff. i believe its one of his earlier works so maybe he improved... let us know how you get on with the brothers.

51NPP8ZDXZL._SS500_.jpg

I read most of this last night.

Brilliant

Every home should have a copy.

He talks about "the daily mails ongoing ontological campaign to divide all inanimate objects in the world into those that can either cause or cure cancer."
I'm really looking forward to reading that, I love his weekly column. Also, I read an excerpt from the Guardian a few weeks back. Great so it was

ooh jack the ripper. i went on a guided jack the ripper walk around the east end of london once - it was cool. it was cold and foggy and we were led down dark alleys and saw some burning cars and an asian lad getting chased by haters and it finished up with some mulled wine in a cozy pub.

ooh jack the ripper. i went on a guided jack the ripper walk around the east end of london once - it was cool. it was cold and foggy and we were led down dark alleys and saw some burning cars and an asian lad getting chased by haters and it finished up with some mulled wine in a cozy pub.
i did this too, got a bit strange when the tour guide went through what we need to do if a rat attacks us.

treeofsmokeLGE.jpg

taken on a scentence by scentence basis this is peerless stuff. the problem is that the plot is so insanely complicated i found it almost impossible to follow. denis johnson is an incredible writer though. the opening passage describing a soldier shooting a monkey is stunning.

the-road-cormac-mccarthy1.jpg

First book I've read in ages, and finished it in one sitting last night. Haven't done that since "The BFG" when I was in primary school. Compelling reading.

i had to read the death of ivan illych in college for my philosophy course - cant remember a thing about it except that the learned doctor doing the lecturing referred regularly to the brothers carra-mat-zoff. i'd go with his version - he was pretty well spoken. i wanted to go back and read some of his stuff again and recently started into Notes From The Underground but gave it up after about 10 pages - awful stuff. i believe its one of his earlier works so maybe he improved... let us know how you get on with the brothers.

It's 'Kuh-ruh-MAH-zuf' according to the Ruskie I know. Emphasis on yr. MAH there.

Currently reading 'Death & The Penguin' by Alexander Kurkov. It's stylistically reminiscent of Doestoyevsky...haven't figured out the significance of the penguin forty pages in.

what do you do if a rat attacks you?
they jump at your face so dont jump out of the way but lean to one side and they'll go over your shoulder, not too sure how well this works if you're tall.

trying to get tru Albert Camus the outsider, it came up in college alot but i never got around to it before, its not the most cheery of books so far but im sure it'll pick up!! I need to get out of fantasy anyway, called someone a sellwench a few days ago and instead of saying i was drunk, i said was in my cups, not cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back