What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (7 Viewers)

Exactly!!He only spends about two pages talking about Blur and the rest talking about being off his face down the Groucho with Keith Allen and Damien Hirst...wanker..

"The Andromeda strain" by Michael Crichton, a little too science heaby but a pretty nifty thriller all the same. also getting stuck into "the concrete blonde" by Michael Connelly, a good page turner.

Exactly!!He only spends about two pages talking about Blur and the rest talking about being off his face down the Groucho with Keith Allen and Damien Hirst...wanker..
I'm starting to feel like I wasted €7....after reading John Peel's autobiog at Christmas I feel like I've been too spoiled. That was a magnificent book.

I'm the same as you muffin - always a big list to plough through, but I rarely find the time these days :(

disgrace.jpg

Incredible book. Amazing style of writing, fresh approach to well-known themes and really, really dark.

disgrace.jpg

Incredible book. Amazing style of writing, fresh approach to well-known themes and really, really dark.

Didn't like it at all. I seem to miss what everyone sees in Coetzee's style of writing. Also the characters are incredibly dislikeable. Not that it wasn't interesting, or relevant but I just thought it was overrated.

just finished the stuff of thought by steven pinker. probably my favourite book of his since the language instinct, very readable.

Didn't like it at all. I seem to miss what everyone sees in Coetzee's style of writing. Also the characters are incredibly dislikeable. Not that it wasn't interesting, or relevant but I just thought it was overrated.

Yeah. It left me very indifferent. I tend to just blame myself about books like that. That I am somehow not smart enough to get it.
I might read it again. There was something about it maybe.

I have these books I call Fargo Books. Books I just miss the point of the first time around, but love the second time around.
It might be because I read them too fast, I have a habit of reading really quickly, possibly from reading technical documents all the time.

Yeah. It left me very indifferent. I tend to just blame myself about books like that. That I am somehow not smart enough to get it.
I might read it again. There was something about it maybe.

Yeah me too. I'm going to read some more of him and if I come round to his famous style I might go back and look at Disgrace again. Then again the subject matter is rather difficult. Maybe I'm just a pussy:confused:

I think his style of writing is really easy going; precise but really thought-provoking. Loads of hidden little ideas that I found myself thinking about a lot. This is the first book I've read by him and the insight into South African race relations is amazing.

I like 'Disgrace' a good bit. 'Life & Times of Michael K' and 'Age of Iron' are my favourites by Coetzeeboy, they're both pretty depressing (particularly 'Age of Iron'), but very powerful books. I'd recommend 'em if you were looking for more fun-filled Coetzee action.

Near the end of 'Woman in the Dunes' by Kobo Abe. It's pretty nice. The constant references to being choked by and covered in sand provoke weirdly physical reactions from me while reading it. The main character is kind of an asshole but I guess its forgivable given his circumstances (imprisoned in a sand pit and forced to shovel sand all night). Looking forward to seeing how it concludes.

Zipped through 'In the Miso Soup' by Ryu Murakami the other week. Really enjoyed it. The characters don't get time to develop to nearly the same degree as in 'Coin Locker Babies' but as a simple thriller, it's quite effective. Basically, its about a young Japanese guy who works as a guide for foreign sex tourists who ends up with a slightly-off American guy as a client who turns out to be somewhat of a nutcase. Fun.

Great book. But its a monster. I spent months reading various parts of it but never finished it.
It's strange. Very quirky.

Theres lots of places where he asks you to take out a pencil and try some little puzzle - not something you are going to bother to do when youu're lying in bed.

I think really it's an armchair book and not one for bedtime.

I started reading "Naked" by David Sedaris last night. It has sat unread on my book shelf for nearly 5 years. I can't believe I have never picked it up before. It is absolutely hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back