What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (10 Viewers)

You obviously decided on a list of old favourites and some HUGE books for when you went travelling?

Delilah by Marcus Goodrich
Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut
Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer
Hemlock and After by Angus Wilson
The Name Of The Rose by Umberto Eco

You obviously decided on a list of old favourites and some HUGE books for when you went travelling?

i had never read any of them before

and would you recommend any of these?

Personally I don't get Kurt Vonnegut. I'm curious about Umberto Eco

Delilah is a good read if you like world war one era american navy tales, well written and enjoyable. i liked the vonnegut one, i had never read any of his books before and didnt expect much from it but i liked it. i thought it would be all violent beatnik shit. the name of the rose was shite enough, it was the first eco book i read and ive decided not to read any more, into think air is a good page turner - its an account of a disatrous attempt to climb everest in 1996, hemlock and after isnt bad either although The Old Men At The Zoo is a better wilson book i think. there.

currently reading

news of a kidnapping - gabriel garcia marquez (likeking it. it;s a fascinating read. very interesting)
then we came to the end - joshua ferris (dfon't believe the hype. contrary to what the back of the book reviews say. this is not very funny. it's an ok read. some amusing bits. but i think the author just saw the office and decided i'll rip it off for a book. it'll be deadlie. it just isn't very funny. there are funny moments. half way through it.)
bring on the apocalypse -- 6 arguments for social justice - george monbiot (just started. good introudction and first essay was good)

This is Your Brain on Music, by Daniel Levitin, awesome read, really interesting and anyone could read it, even if you hadn't an ounce of musical knowledge

nearly finished news of a kidnapping. will start when i'm finished this "platform" by michel houellebecq

anyone like his writing? this be the 3rd book of his i'll read.

I loved Atomised and would have ranked it as one of my favourite books until I read Platform. Not only did I not like it, reading it made me like Atomised less as well.

I loved Atomised and would have ranked it as one of my favourite books until I read Platform. Not only did I not like it, reading it made me like Atomised less as well.

I read Possability of and Island and Elimantary Particles. He's an interesting read, but I wouldn't be a huge fan - he's a bit grim.

Last night I read

books

It's a alminac of invented information and stupid lists - funny but something to skim through rather than read in detail.

Also finished:

books

Very interesting - if we dissappeared from the planet tomorrow what would be left behind and how long would it last?

It turns out our cities, houses etc are surprisingly impermanent.

The book does jump around in an annoying way and the lst chapter is garbage but still a fascinating read.

And also:

books

I felt exactly the same, there's something really seedy about his books. Couldn't think about reading anyhting else by him

Just Started A Laodicean by Thomas hardy. It's supposed to be his weakest book and was dictated from his sick bed, but so far it's pretty good.

I'm currently haflway through Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. It's a behemoth. Anyone read it? It's simultaneously the most frustrating and fantastic but I've ever read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back