What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (8 Viewers)

My attention span is so scattered at this stage that I flicking between 3 books.

rise.jpg

Got this in chapters. €24.99 new downstairs. €5.99 secondhand upstairs. :)

Killing_Hope.jpg

& The complete Sherlock Homes

Just finished Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks, really interesting stuff, if you're into music and brain related things.

finished American Psycho last night. Had never read it.

I was so disappointed with that book. I wanted to read it when I was about 14 and my mam and dad wouldn't let me, so I got it on the sly from a second hand book shop. I don't think he's that good an author at all.

I was so disappointed with that book. I wanted to read it when I was about 14 and my mam and dad wouldn't let me, so I got it on the sly from a second hand book shop. I don't think he's that good an author at all.

yeah, it wasn't great. I got a bit sick of the whole, '...who is wearing a silk tie from Givenchy, and a double-breasted Armani.....' shite.

I did like the Patty Winters stuff. That cracked me up.

But I'm thinking theres a deeper meaning to the whole thing. Have to think about it a bit more but I think its more a commentary on how superficial society is, and that maybe the Bateman dude didn't actually exist, or something.

I need to go watch the film. The last time I saw it, in San Francisco in about 2000, I fell asleep.

Did you ever read Glamorama? Pile of shit, the first half of the book is just name dropping, and the rest is either smut or doesn't make any sense. I really liked Less Than Zero, but anything else of his that I've read was a chore to get through.

Did you ever read Glamorama? Pile of shit, the first half of the book is just name dropping, and the rest is either smut or doesn't make any sense. I really liked Less Than Zero, but anything else of his that I've read was a chore to get through.

no, that was my first venture into the world of Brett Easton Ellie. I reckon its far enough into it too. I saw the book in Hodges Figgis one day for 4 euro so took a punt on it.

I hate smut in books. Especially books written by blokes. And I bow to your superior knowledge of Ellis. I think I've had enough of him for now though.

So many other worthwhile things one could be spending their time reading.

I would say the Rules of Attraction is pretty good too. Lunar Park was an interesting idea poorly executed (the writer is literally haunted by his past creations).

I think the idea in American Psycho is not that the author did not exist but that he did not kill anyone (but probably was pretty abusive to women).

So many other worthwhile things one could be spending their time reading.

Very true, I was young and thought I was being cool by reading things I shouldn't. My parents were pretty lenient so that was about as rebellious as I could be

ellis is unbelievably over-rated. i thought "american psycho" was ok, but tried way too hard (in general). "the rules of attraction" was the last book i read that i thought was truely shit. it was beverly hills 90210 with drugs and swearing. particularly bad was the characterisation, drawn piss poor. i'm not going to waste my time with anything else he has written after that. the only shocking thing about his work seems to be just how fucking boring it is.

Yeah I agree with Brian about Ellis, thought the movie of American Psycho topped the book actually. The rest of his books are shite. I feel the same way about that Douglas Coupland chap.

What?? Douglas Coupland's book are incredible! Life After God is such a remarkable book. I love his stuff so much. I actually got Generation X at the same time I got American Psycho, bit of a coincidence. But yeah, his books are great

I liked American Psycho alot. The relentless, shallowness...he's a psychopath after all. Read a bit of Glamorama but couldn't be bothered finishing it. By that point I was sick of all the designer clothes descriptions. !zed

Finished reading "Hide and Seek" by Ian Rankin which was enjoyable now making good progress on "Fatherland" by Robert Harris, tis keeping me gripped so far.

Well, I felt this was particularly atrocious.

41DBFQGBE3L.jpg

Haven't read anything else by him, and can't imagine I will bother, because of how much I despised that novel.

Ah it's not atrocious! I love Generation X though.

Tried to read American Psycho and it appalled me so much I couldn't finish it. Too squeamish. The writing was fabulous and his depiction of a complete insane sociopath was great but it was just too heavy going.

I got a great book of political wit the other day. It is hilarious, particularly some of the 18th and 19th century exchanges.
"You sir, shall die at the gallows or of the clap"
"It all depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back