What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (8 Viewers)

I don't know her but as with all these "recovery" memoirs, I hope she's doing ok and wish her well. I'm interested in reading about the Orkneys in particular.
Yes that cover art is beautiful.
I found the book hard to get hold of here; I eventually ordered through Hodges Figges and the guy hadn't heard of it but was interested in the premise, so hopefully they might order more in!
Yeah, she writes brilliantly about the wildlife there and as far as I know she's doing well : )

Finished The Outrun - a really enjoyable read and a very uplifting story. Next up it's The Vegetarian by Han Kang. I don't expect much uplift with this one :(

J
Just starting

25788901.jpg

meant to get back about this. Its a beautiful little book. Its short, very personal, sombre moreso than sad, and a very worthwhile read.

Its not biographical at all. It recounts some shared experiences, but focuses more on their interaction during the experiences, than the experiences themselves. I've never read anything quite like it.

Its certainly not depressing. You get the odd lump in the throat reading it. Obviously we all know how the story ends, but she writes about it in very pragmatic terms, rather than with any sense of anger or wallowing.

Oh, and its absolutely laugh-out-loud funny at points too.

Hope I haven't given too much away. Definitely recommended.

I've been meaning to start it as well.... at some point. I have only heard good things about it

Oddly, I have mostly heard bad things, apart from the Booker accolade obviously!

I still want to give it a fair go.
Ah some people I know who read it said it's great and i'd generally trust their opinion. TBH more than the booker prize which imho has been awarded to some seriously rubbish books (LOOKING AT YOU JULIAN BARNES)

Ah some people I know who read it said it's great and i'd generally trust their opinion. TBH more than the booker prize which imho has been awarded to some seriously rubbish books (LOOKING AT YOU JULIAN BARNES)

Yes! That Julian Barnes book did my head in. Heard him being interviewed once though, and he sounded like a very nice man.

Reading this

What_Goes_Around_-_Emily_Chappell_-_cover.0.jpg

I'd read good reviews about it, though some of the reviews were qualified with, 'if you're from London you'll love it'.

About a third of the way in and I'm not really feeling it, to be honest. It still feels like she's introducing her life as a bike courier. I have a bad feeling the whole book will be like that, rather than imparting any amazing tales and/or anecdotes.

Its not very long though, so I'll finish it out.

I'm reading this

17870105.jpg

which is a strange, strange childrens book about two kids who get stranded in a forest in Tasmania and get adopted by two Tasmanian tigers and end up losing all their human-ness.

It seems a little unreal and i'm not really sure who the audience for it is, but it's good.... I think? ish?

Started this one today.
On a separate note - I'm interested in reading some Neil Gaiman, maybe his short stories, but I'm pretty open to anything. Can anyone recommend a good place to start with his stuff?

wildwood.jpg

This. Each chapter deals with a different occasion/forest/whatever. Occasionally the author visits an artist working with wood at which point the book takes a turn for the worse, he's at his best when describing the uniqueness of a given forest, its history and its importance. Well worth a read if you really like trees, just skip the arty chapters.

wildwood.jpg

This. Each chapter deals with a different occasion/forest/whatever. Occasionally the author visits an artist working with wood at which point the book takes a turn for the worse, he's at his best when describing the uniqueness of a given forest, its history and its importance. Well worth a read if you really like trees, just skip the arty chapters.
sounds great!

Might seek it out

It's quite good, a lot of social history - the good people of Great Wishford annually gathering to pick wood in Grovely Wood as 'since time immemorial' and the use of the pagan Green Man in medieval churches in Devon. He's moved abroad now, first France, now Spain, next Eastern Europe. I'm not sure he'll be able to sustain the spirit of the book, a lot of it is peculiarly British. Still, we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back