we wuz robbed (3 Viewers)

Originally posted by figs
there is the argument of whether we would have done as well with Keane there. Without him the remaining players had to try that little bit harder, and in doing so fought like you rarely see an Irish team with Keane in it fighting. Would we have been so determined as a team in the Germany and Spain matches if Keane had have been there?

That's bollix, there's nothing bigger for a footballer than the world cup, so by you puttin forward the arguement that they wouldn't try hard in the world cup, the greatest moment of their lives, is complete bollix. No one is going to sit back and wait for the best player to get them to the final. Everyone is trying to make a name for themselves and to prove themselves onthe big stage. We all want to be the next Pele.

yid think so... but what about figo or rui costa or veron or trezeguet etc etc etc.

sparse, i think the point he was making was that without keane it meant some of the other players got to play a more pivotal role and thus have more impact on the game. an example of this would be veron with man utd compared with veron with argentina - he's not found his niche yet at man utd because keane, beckham, giggs etc. drive the team but yet he's indispensible to argentina's movement. so in our case becuase roy wasn't there it meant among other things that staunton was captain and this increased staunton's influence and may have resulted in him playing his best football in years. i think this impacted other players to a greater (staunton, holland, kelly, duff, finnan, breen) or lesser (kilbane, harte, robbie keane, kinsella) extent.

simply put, the matches would have been completely different if roy was playing but i don't think we could have expected to do any better overall.

Originally posted by conor
an example of this would be veron with man utd compared with veron with argentina - he's not found his niche yet at man utd because keane, beckham, giggs etc. drive the team but yet he's indispensible to argentina's movement.

Ahem, did you see any of Argentina's matches? or are you just mad as Roy Keane. Veron played very well in the first match BUT was terible in the other two. He was subsituted in the last match. Besides Man Utd play him out of position.

simply put, the matches would have been completely different if roy was playing but i don't think we could have expected to do any better overall.

I agree with this but I'd like to think that we could have overcome the Spainish and got one stage further.

Originally posted by Hector Grey
yid think so... but what about figo or rui costa or veron or trezeguet etc etc etc.

Figo hasn't played well in the last 6 months neither has veron and Trezeguet along with the rest of the french stickers need top class delivery on their own their not top class players, the same can be said for Lungberg. Every team needs a Zidane or Bergkamp or even Roy Keane as delivery through the middle.

Originally posted by sparse-icus

Ahem,

bless you

Originally posted by sparse-icus

did you see any of Argentina's matches? or are you just mad as Roy Keane. Veron played very well in the first match BUT was terible in the other two. He was subsituted in the last match. Besides Man Utd play him out of position.

you're just proving my point - veron is a lynchpin in argentina's play - why do you think argentina went out so early? if keane had played for us and played poorly, it would've had a huge effect on the team. i don't really have anything against him but i was pleased to see that we can play without him. once healy, reid and morrison are integrated into the team (and duff is back on the wing) i think things are going to be alllllright. one of the fai boyoz said this morning that keane will never play for us again, apology or no...

Sorry I was off watchin one of the greatest games of the world cup.

you're just proving my point - veron is a lynchpin in argentina's play - why do you think argentina went out so early

I'm not sure exactly what your point is. Would it not be true to say that Veron cost Man Utd the title seeing as in the early part of the season they tried very hard to fit him in to the team. Whilst they were playing him out of position, a position that was held by Roy Keane, they lost a lot of vital points which in the end I and others reckon it cost them the title.

if keane had played for us and played poorly, it would've had a huge effect on the team. i don't really have anything against him but i was pleased to see that we can play without him. once healy, reid and morrison are integrated into the team (and duff is back on the wing) i think things are going to be alllllright. one of the fai boyoz said this morning that keane will never play for us again, apology or no...

You say that if Keane played badly it would have had a huge effect on the team. The fact of the matter is that Harte DID play badly and it DID have a huge effect on the team.

I also am pleased with the preformance of the team without Keane, it's good to know that we can preform without him and I cannot wait until the young lads are together for the euro championship in 2 years.

Also Keane has retired from international football and McCarty is stickin round for 2 more years so it's unlikely that'll change.

so we're in agreement.
man utd suck, harte sucks and the future's bright for ireland even without roy keane.
yay.

ian harte in my opinion would be better suited to the midfield than the defence

and morgan vox your opinion on me don't really matter. so what if i havean attitude similar to a "west brit" whatever that is? i'll say what i want and if i want to make a scapegoat of anyone i will.

de feenicks park waz deadly last nite.

i had a tricolour on me cheek that the bird drew. class.
that joe duffy lad doh, what a stupid bollix.
i kept tryin to sing 'the mighty quinn' but none of de feckers around me knew de feckin words. i love niallo quinner.
pricks.
and i got to wear me big hat too. class.
the revs were shitheads though. i hate the revs.

ahhh, the revs. ahhh. how do they do it?

You get 1 ton of shit, compress it, stick it up the ass of three people who would do anything to be famous, add a money grabbing manager intent on world domination, a sprinkle of 16 year old goths and punks to buy the records with the money they got for their first communion and hey presto "the revs";)

Feast on this,and no,it's not from the Daily Mirror or the Sun,it's from the Guardian!

Immediately after scoring a goal against Saudi Arabia, those giants of world football, Robbie Keane raced across the pitch and, directly in front of the pitch-side camera, performed a mime of an archer firing an arrow. He crouched down, drew one hand back and then simulated letting go of the bowstring and went kerpppowwww!
I don't know what you thought about that, if you saw it. I wanted to climb inside the television and smack him about the head. Or maybe respond with a real arrow. It was hugely irritating, the sort of smug, dumb, self-aggrandising thing you might expect one of the Big Brother cretins to perform, or possibly Lulu. It made me spit.

Partly, I suppose, this is because I was cheering for the Saudis, out of a respect for their criminal justice system. Given a choice between two right-of-centre agrarian theocracies, I'll go with the more rigorous one, if that's OK.

But I am well aware that I was almost entirely alone in not rooting for the Irish. Everybody in the world adores them, it would seem - including the referee in their last game, who awarded them a total of seven penalties (from which they managed to score three times) and disallowed a whole bunch of Spanish goals. Perhaps he'd been mugged last year on holiday in Marbella or something. But more likely he was just in thrall to the Irish like everybody else.

But who will the world cheer for now that the lovable leprechauns have been returned to their misty hills and treacherous bogs? Perhaps, like my friend and colleague John Humphrys, they will occupy themselves by cheering for whomever England are playing, even if it's an al-Qaida Select XI, or maybe Germany. I hope so. England's victories get more and more enjoyable as the whining about "English triumphalism" grows within Great Britain.

i read that. them brits can't figure out why nobody likes them. it's quite hillarious, don't you find?

i read that. them brits can't figure out why nobody likes them. it's quite hillarious, don't you find?

hilarious on one hand,depressing on the other.

and if i had another hand,it would be pitiful...

they're not to be pitied. well, maybe they are. `but i rarely feel that gracious.

the poxy fuckers could win it though.

scenario:beat brazil 4-3 or something like that due to shite brazilian defending.beckham receives knighthood.

win semis.beckham becomes next in line for throne.

win final against GERMANY.Beckham becomes King,invades germany and we never,EVER hear the end of it.

!bog :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back