WAVVES (Usa, Woodsist/ De Stijl) + Dublin Duck Dispensary + Weil Rats - Wed 11th Feb (1 Viewer)

skinny wolves

Website
www.skinnywolves.com
Skinny Wolves Presents:

WAVVES (USA, De Stijl/ Woodsist)
+ Dublin Duck Dispensary
+ Weil Rats

Wednesday 11th February

Whelans (upstairs), Wexford St, Dublin

WAVVES

Myspace: www.myspace.com/wavves
Label: www.fuckittapes.com/woodsist.htm / www.destijlrecs.com

wavves.jpg

WAVVES
is the new band/project of Nathan Williams from California, US. Previous and upcoming releases on WOODSIST/FUCK IT TAPES, DE STIJL, RELEASE THE BATS and FAT POSSUM!

“[Wavves] is like the melting of Wipers’ putrid jams, Pixies’ sunken grunge harmonies and anything Calvin Johnson ever croaked his way through!” - No Pain In Pop.
The fanbase of this unique project is growing as we speak and we are excited to team up with the awesome UPSET THE RHYTM folks and bring it to Europe/UK in February/March 2009.

Some of you might know WAVVES already, others not yet, but make sure to check them out as soon as possible, it could be your new favourite band… Influences on the myspace site read as follows: BEACH BOYS, SONIC YOUTH, WIPERS, NIRVANA, TEENAGE JESUS AND THE JERKS, BAD BRAINS, MY BLOODY VALENTINE, METAL URBAIN, DINOSAUR JR, BEATLES, HUSKER DU, BLACK FLAG, BEAT HAPPENING, CRASS, THE CLASH, RAMONES, PAVEMENT, JESUS & MARY CHAIN.

selected press:

As of today, it’s officially crispy in New York, so we are seeking one last summer solace with the California crust-pop of San Diego’s Wavves. As you might expect from a SoCal band named after ocean motion, this shit sounds like a living version of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_&_Country_Surf_Designs"]Thrilla Gorilla & Da’ Boys[/ame]. As you might not expect, it is made by one kid named Nathan who has a classic rap blog called Ghost Ramp. // THE FADER

Wavves makes distorted, lo-fi, washed-out pop that is quite beautiful, albeit hard to listen to on a continuous basis. Definitely ambient and somewhat stream-of-consciousness oriented, this type of music really intrigues me because it forces you to discover the melody and song structure that is hidden beneath a) sonic wash and b) spontaneous production. // SUPERHUMANOID.COM

I’m a total sucker for fuzzed out loud doo-wop/60’s pop drenched madness and Wavves new album delivers in full. Based out of San Diego, Nathan Williams-who goes by the name Wavves-exemplifies every pastiche of where I feel anyone in their mid 20’s has been through musically. Whether it be hearing your dad play that early Beach Boys tape one too many times on the way to the beach or wearing out your older brothers copy of Nevermind in 5th grade before discovering the Pixies, Wavves isn’t afraid to shy away from throwing it all into his distorted blender of sound. The more I listen to it the more it’s been growing on me…maybe it’s my San Diego childhood upbringing coming out. // naturalismo.wordpress.com

Re: WAVVES (Usa, Woodsist/ De Stijl) + Dublin Duck Dispensary + Weil Rats - Wed 11th

Odd. I went looking for tickets today at the sound cellar and ticketmaster. Is Whelans the only place they will be sold?

Re: WAVVES (Usa, Woodsist/ De Stijl) + Dublin Duck Dispensary + Weil Rats - Wed 11th

Odd. I went looking for tickets today at the sound cellar and ticketmaster. Is Whelans the only place they will be sold?

Yeah, sorry, Whelans / Wav Box Office is wheres it at, for the moment, although if we were doing them online, we'd use tickets.ie not ticketmaster

Yeah, sorry, Whelans / Wav Box Office is wheres it at, for the moment, although if we were doing them online, we'd use tickets.ie not ticketmaster
Where does one buy tickets weeks before the show at Whelans? I'll run by tomorrow after work.

Where does one buy tickets weeks before the show at Whelans? I'll run by tomorrow after work.

The Wav Box Office. :) It's the little shop place to the left of the entrance door to Whelans. I'm not at all sure what their opening hours are like though..

The Wav Box Office. :) It's the little shop place to the left of the entrance door to Whelans. I'm not at all sure what their opening hours are like though..

You mean the box on the left when going in the downstairs venue? Isn't that door always locked until the "doors open"?

You mean the box on the left when going in the downstairs venue? Isn't that door always locked until the "doors open"?

No, it's next door

It has regular hours

http://www.wavtickets.com/

I agree. I've been listening to some of the stuff recently. Reminds me a bit of very early Jesus and Mary Chain, but more summery. It hasn't sold out yet, has it?

Hope not. Haven't bought a ticket yet.

is this pronounced "waves" or "wav-ves" or like,"wawes" or something? i don't want to make a faux pas like the time i thought telepathe was pronounced telepath

it's pronounce w'hav-ehz i'm pretty sure

Serious internet backlash happening over the album. I'm also completely underwhelmed by it as well..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back