Waterstones Dublin - R.I.P (1 Viewer)

Jim Daniels

Burls Forever
Supporter
Since 2000
Website
twitter.com
Just heard that the two branches of Waterstones in Dublin are closing down this Sunday. Soon, there'll be no reason to go into town at all.

I really liked the cafe in the Dawson St branch too. Boo on this!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0201/hmv-business.html

The Waterstone's bookshops on Dawson Street and in the Jervis Centre in Dublin are to close this Sunday.

The Waterstone's bookshops on Dawson Street and in the Jervis Centre in Dublin are to close this Sunday. 46 people are employed at the two stores.
A spokeswoman for Waterstones said the company would try to redeploy people where possible but confirmed that job losses were expected. A trading update from the stores' parent company HMV in early January had warned of store closures.

Waterstone's has around 300 stores across Ireland and Britain. A spokeswoman for the company said the Waterstone's outlets in Cork and in Drogheda were unaffected by the move.
HMV has long been struggling with cut-price competition from supermarkets and the internet. Last month it said sales at British and Irish stores open at least a year dropped 13.6% in the five weeks to January 1.
The group said at the time that it planned to close around 60 British stores over the next year and take other steps to make sure it passes a test of its lending rules in April.

Terrible news, especially for the poor fuckers who work there! I wonder will Hodges Figgis be safe for long - don't they own that as well?

Yeah it's a total disaster. The staff in both branches are really nice and some of them have worked there for years. Hodges Figgis are indeed part of the same group - hopefully they gain some of the customer base and manage to hang on.

A massive logistical problem has been solved. How to get a book from a publisher to your living room with the least hassle. The internet solved it. The supermarkets did the rest.

Book shops' major advantage is that they're are awesome to browse in and possibly indulge some nerdy fantasy on the staff, but they can't charge for that.
Ergo they're fucked.
I will personally miss the days of hoping to impress the bespectacled bookshop worker with my purchases when she couldn't care less.

Anyone know where their closing day after-work piss up is?
Could be worth a shot.

the question now is-where does gibson work?

He works in the Leprechaun Museum.
The fucker's coining it in.

Y'know what Shaney....you're right.

I have absolutely NO reason to go into the city centre..I honestly cant think of one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back